Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help with Cutting Strips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-cutting-strips-t38606.html)

nancya 03-05-2010 05:14 AM

Do you use any type of sand paper? Just glue the little dots to the corners?

nancya 03-05-2010 05:15 AM

I got one of these and it helped some but I am still having a problem.

nancya 03-05-2010 05:18 AM

Oooh, now this sounds cool. I will look at Wally World this weekend and see if mine has one.

So it is just like a regular square ruler with slits? Sounds like that would help a lot when cutting a bunch of strips like I need to. I tell you, if I ever get these strips cut, I think the quilt is going to look great :D

nancya 03-05-2010 05:22 AM

Well duh, I thought my posts would be connected to the ones I was replying to!

Oky, synopsis :-D

1) I tried the search feature before I originally posted but it was not answering my particular issue, thus I posted (Is that ok???)

2) I have one of those rulers with the end think that slides up against the mat, it helps some but I still have a problem.

3) The sand paper, will any type do? You just glue the small pieces to the corner of the ruler?

Ugg, I guess I will eventually get the hang of posting here :oops:

watterstide 03-05-2010 05:41 AM

Someone else mentioned on another thread, to use a glue gun on the the bottom of the ruler..it is clear, and removable.
wish i was there to help you, to see what you are doing wrong.

illinois 03-05-2010 05:49 AM

There are things that look like handles with suction cups that can be attached to your ruller that help distribute the pressure placed on the ruler and helps hold it in place. I'm told you can get these at a quilt shop or much cheaper at a do-it-yourself lumber yard such as Lowes or Home Depot--look for handles to be used to assist people in the tub or shower.

BellaBoo 03-05-2010 06:02 AM

I rarely get all my quilt pieces all cut perfectly. It takes a very long time to cut fabric for a quilt because, every cut has to be checked and double checked for perfect ruler alignment. One bad cut wastes a lot of fabric. Cutting is the part of quiltmaking I don't enjoy doing. I use the June Taylor Shape Cut, it's the most accurate ruler I've found for cutting strips and squares. I use precuts when I can. I bought an Accuquilt Go die cut machine. It's perfect for me.

GailG 03-05-2010 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mmhrpt
My favorite ruler is one with a lip at the edge. Line it up with the edge of your cutting matte and it's much easier to cut straight strips. And the sand paper dots help too!

Hey Myrna.
I agree with this tip. I also lay my left hand with fingers spread close to the starting point of my cut. I start the cut, stop (leaving the rotary cutter in place), walk my fingers up about a third of the way; continue to cut, stop and walk fingers in the same way until all of the distance is cut. I can't cut the whole distance in one attempt.

Norene B 03-06-2010 05:30 AM

You can buy the sandpaper dots at the quilt shop also.

ritamaew 03-06-2010 08:10 AM

This is my favorite tool and improved my cutting 90%.