Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Cutting Strips

I am having a terrible time with cutting strips for my quilt. I am trying a Bargello and need a lot of these. However, I can't cut them straight, my ruler slides...Help! What is the best way to get even strips?

Blog Entries
    you could put sandpaper dots on the underside of your ruler, maybe you need to exert more pressure on the ruler...

You can try putting a little piece of sandpaper on the back of your ruler in the corners. This helps.

Also, when cutting, be sure you don't push the cutter toward the ruler. Just go at a good speed with an even amount of pressure. The number one most important, be sure your blade is sharp.

This will take a little time and you will get the hang of it.

Barn

also ironing your material and folding, and making sure it is folded straight, and it is laying flat will help. If you are standing to cut, try standing to the side a little, and lining up you hand with where you want to cut.

Nancy - Click on SEARCH at the top of this page, then type in cutting strips and you will find lots of discussions that will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by quazyquilter
    you could put sandpaper dots on the underside of your ruler, maybe you need to exert more pressure on the ruler...
    this really helps

My favorite ruler is one with a lip at the edge. Line it up with the edge of your cutting matte and it's much easier to cut straight strips. And the sand paper dots help too!

There is a new ruler out made just for strips and I bought one at Walmart and I love it, my strips are much straighter. It is an acrlyic with precut slits in the square every 1/2 inch and it is about 18 inches wide by about 18 inches long, you lay it on your fabric after you iron and set it up and then cut every so many inches depending on your width of strips you require so you make around 4 or 5 sets at a time. It is a time saver also.

Quote Originally Posted by janedennis
    There is a new ruler out made just for strips and I bought one at Walmart and I love it, my strips are much straighter. It is an acrlyic with precut slits in the square every 1/2 inch and it is about 18 inches wide by about 18 inches long, you lay it on your fabric after you iron and set it up and then cut every so many inches depending on your width of strips you require so you make around 4 or 5 sets at a time. It is a time saver also.
    This is the shapemaker by June Taylor. I love mine, use it frequently when cutting multiple strips of the same color.

I tried that before posting but I have not found anything yet that really addresses my issue so I thought I would post my question.

Do you use any type of sand paper? Just glue the little dots to the corners?

I got one of these and it helped some but I am still having a problem.

Oooh, now this sounds cool. I will look at Wally World this weekend and see if mine has one.

So it is just like a regular square ruler with slits? Sounds like that would help a lot when cutting a bunch of strips like I need to. I tell you, if I ever get these strips cut, I think the quilt is going to look great :D

Well duh, I thought my posts would be connected to the ones I was replying to!

Oky, synopsis :-D

1) I tried the search feature before I originally posted but it was not answering my particular issue, thus I posted (Is that ok???)

2) I have one of those rulers with the end think that slides up against the mat, it helps some but I still have a problem.

3) The sand paper, will any type do? You just glue the small pieces to the corner of the ruler?

Ugg, I guess I will eventually get the hang of posting here :oops:

Blog Entries
    Someone else mentioned on another thread, to use a glue gun on the the bottom of the ruler..it is clear, and removable.
    wish i was there to help you, to see what you are doing wrong.

There are things that look like handles with suction cups that can be attached to your ruller that help distribute the pressure placed on the ruler and helps hold it in place. I'm told you can get these at a quilt shop or much cheaper at a do-it-yourself lumber yard such as Lowes or Home Depot--look for handles to be used to assist people in the tub or shower.

Blog Entries
    I rarely get all my quilt pieces all cut perfectly. It takes a very long time to cut fabric for a quilt because, every cut has to be checked and double checked for perfect ruler alignment. One bad cut wastes a lot of fabric. Cutting is the part of quiltmaking I don't enjoy doing. I use the June Taylor Shape Cut, it's the most accurate ruler I've found for cutting strips and squares. I use precuts when I can. I bought an Accuquilt Go die cut machine. It's perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhrpt
    My favorite ruler is one with a lip at the edge. Line it up with the edge of your cutting matte and it's much easier to cut straight strips. And the sand paper dots help too!
    Hey Myrna.
    I agree with this tip. I also lay my left hand with fingers spread close to the starting point of my cut. I start the cut, stop (leaving the rotary cutter in place), walk my fingers up about a third of the way; continue to cut, stop and walk fingers in the same way until all of the distance is cut. I can't cut the whole distance in one attempt.

You can buy the sandpaper dots at the quilt shop also.

This is my favorite tool and improved my cutting 90%.

I know we aren't supposed to tear fabric, altho I have seen some in fabric depts and even quilt shops who tear it. I have overcome this same problem by tearing, if the fabric is such that will tear. It has saved me a lot of time and my strips came out straight, most of the time. I did a lot of tearing when getting strips ready for my most recent Log Cabin Quilt.
    Marta

Quote Originally Posted by nancya
    I am having a terrible time with cutting strips for my quilt. I am trying a Bargello and need a lot of these. However, I can't cut them straight, my ruler slides...Help! What is the best way to get even strips?
    I got a roll of Omnigrid InvisaGRIP at Hancock Fabrics. It's clear plastic which you cut slightly smaller than ruler and smooth on back of Omnigrid rulers. Works great and I assume would cling to other brands (although the scraps wouldn't cling to our remotes to keep them from sliding off the lamp table).

It's $12.95 some places but here's a cheap spot:

http://www.createforless.com/Omnigri...utm_medium=cse

Be sure your fabric is straight on grain, iron with starch and it will be easier. The key seems to be preparation of fabric.

Try starching and ironing your fabric. Cut better for me.

I put my cutting mat on my ironing board so that I can adjust the height. I always stand to cut as I like to be kind of over the cutting mat to create an even pressure on the ruler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast