Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with designing a pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-designing-pattern-t47301.html)

ctack2 05-29-2010 10:23 PM

Where did you find the organza? Sounds beautiful.
Carol B

fernheimer 05-29-2010 10:24 PM

I love the bargello idea. An abstract representation of a snowbow that would be appropriate for an office and could hang all year.

Gerbie 05-30-2010 08:53 AM

Carol, I found the organza at WalMart. Since it was seasonal, I don't know if you could still get any. However if you are near a Wal Mart that still carries fabric, you might be able to find some in the sheer fabrics section. I really liked the effect it gave to the Christmas tree skirt. I would be happy to share, but I only have very small scraps, not enough to even cover the bottom I don't think of the 18x18 size you mentioned. I will check and see, if I do, I'll pm you and let you know. I am currently in the process of "cleaning or straightening" out my sewing area, so don't count on me letting you know for a week or so. Gerbie

tryitall 05-31-2010 08:36 AM

My first thought was a snowball quilt, maybe in rainbow colors, or a rainbow pieced in a block and set with them. I don't know.

QuiltingGramma 06-01-2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I'd do an arched rainbow, in rainbow colors, made out of appliqued snowflakes (like the kind we made in grade school)....light and airy, floating down with the sun shining up in one corner. The background could go from sunshine to snow, yellow to blue/white, top to bottom diagonally. (I may have to sketch that out for future development...thanks)

I like this idea the best! I hope you'll post pictures when you've created the wallhanging.

grammypatty7 06-01-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2
Let me tell you the story behind my request, then maybe someone that has the insight to design something will help me out here.
I went in to pay a bill one day this past winter and the sun was shining brightly, but it was snowing outside. The lady and I were talking about it and I said to her...."When it rains and the sun is shining, we get rainbows. I wonder if we'll get a snowbow." We laughed about it and she still mentions it every month when I go in to pay my bill. She said they have had so much fun in the office laughing about that.
Well, I would love to make a small wall hanging for them to put there in the office of a SNOWBOW. Any ideas?
I've thought about a rainbow with snowmen at the ends like pots of gold.
I've thought about a rainbow arc made out of blues and/or blue prints with white.
Maybe something with snowflakes falling....I don't know.
I've thought about a lot of things, but just don't know where to begin in drawing out a design.
I know someone out there with a designers ability or program can come up with something for me.
Thanks,
Carol B

According to my husband, there are areas in the world where it can indeed snow and there will be a rainbow showing. It's very rare but had occurred when the conditions are right and that they look like regular rainbows but with snow flakes coming down so go for it. That definitely would be beautiful. I personally have never seen one but he probably has when he was commuting to work for so many years.

zz-pd 06-03-2010 04:31 PM

How about making a rainbow in light blues and silver, even glittery white. God bless. Penny

needles47 06-03-2010 04:46 PM

you ladies have so many great ideas. i have one to offer also. how about an arch for the rainbow. one side the sun is shinning and the rain is falling with a rainbow in springy colors. we do see those rainbows in the spring. the other side of the rainbow could be done in light blues and grays for the rainbow with snowflakes falling and a snowman with snowballs on that end.. oh wait , on the spring side at the end of the rainbow have a small quilt. who says it has to be a pot of gold. and add the 2 sayings on the right side of the rainbow.

grammypatty7 06-03-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by needles47
you ladies have so many great ideas. i have one to offer also. how about an arch for the rainbow. one side the sun is shinning and the rain is falling with a rainbow in springy colors. we do see those rainbows in the spring. the other side of the rainbow could be done in light blues and grays for the rainbow with snowflakes falling and a snowman with snowballs on that end.. oh wait , on the spring side at the end of the rainbow have a small quilt. who says it has to be a pot of gold. and add the 2 sayings on the right side of the rainbow.

I love that idea and yes, it's perfect!

sahm4605 06-03-2010 05:16 PM

I think that a bargello inside of another quilt would be wonderful. you do the bargello in batiks of pale colors and you have white on the bottom and blue gray on the top with a sun in the corner and maybe a tree or two depending on the location you guys are in. I would also do snowflakes in applic like the post in the pics section (can't remember who posted it) but the snow flakes are done in the peoples name. that would be really personal to them and they would feel really appreciated. just my two cents. it will be beautiful whatever you decide to do.