Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with directions for making a king size log cabin quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-directions-making-king-size-log-cabin-quilt-t295514.html)

craft 03-15-2018 06:50 AM

Need help with directions for making a king size log cabin quilt

Hi, I want to make a king size log cabin quilt with the told finish size that measures 110" x 113". What size would the told center be and the border. What size log cabin would be easier to use? It will be for a straight setting.

Thanks

Ariannaquilts 03-15-2018 07:08 AM

It all depends on what you want to make it. For example my blocks that I made on my first log cabin finished at 12", I started with a 3 1/2 inch center square then made my logs 1 1/2 inch. My most current log cabin quilt the center was still 3 1/2 inch but my logs were 2 1/2 " so my goal here was to make an 18 inch block for a king size quilt. So again it depends on you and how many blocks you want to make. Good luck.

mamagrande 03-15-2018 09:03 AM

My favorite log cabin pattern book is Elenor Burns book. I only thing I don't care for is that she uses 2" strips. I have made several and have used 1 1/2 " strips instead of 2". Her book has all recommendations for all sizes and pictures of block placing patterns.

Krisb 03-15-2018 09:49 AM

The top of a standard king mattress is 76x80. Then decide the finished block size you are going to use. For example, if you use a finished block size of 12”, you would probably want to set the blocks for the center 7x7, resulting in a top (before borders) 84x84. The total border width would be 13”, plus. Here is how the plus might work. Add a 3” (finished) border all around. Add a 4” (finished) border all around. For the last border, add 6” (finished) on the sides you want to finish at 110 and 7.5 on the sides you want to finish at 113.

Me, I would make it 110x 110.

DACO48 03-15-2018 06:21 PM

Our bed is a queen on a waterbed frame high off the floor. I wanted a nice drop on our quilt so mine is 110x 120. That size gives me a lot for pillow tuck. That is a lot of 1/2 square triangles. It also self borders. If I ever learn how to do pics, I will post.

JustAbitCrazy 03-16-2018 09:41 PM

I second mamagrande's suggestion to get a copy of Eleanor Burn's Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book. The instructions are so perfect someone who has never made a quilt can make this one. You should be able to buy a copy of that book very inexpensively. It's been around forever. Look on the website dealoz for new and used books. I believe there's also a Quilt in a Day Star Log Cabin book, too, which has stars formed in the sashing, a very pretty quilt you may want to consider.

JustAbitCrazy 03-16-2018 09:42 PM

I second mamagrande's suggestion to get a copy of Eleanor Burn's Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book. The instructions are so perfect someone who has never made a quilt can make this one. You should be able to buy a copy of that book very inexpensively. It's been around forever. Look on the website dealoz for new and used books. I believe there's a Quilt in a Day Star Log Cabin book, too, which has stars formed in the sashing, a very pretty quilt you may want to consider.

Jakers1 03-17-2018 06:41 AM

I made a Queen sized log cabin and made it in quarters,not sewing it in rows the full width. The logs were made of 2 1/2 inch squares and doing it in quarters avoided distortion. Just a suggestion, especially with a quilt that size.

meyert 03-17-2018 06:50 AM

I am making my first log cabin quilt now using 1-1/2" strips.... but it will not be any where near a king size. Did you look at MSQC videos? I bet she uses 2-1/2" strips - which would go much quicker for a king size

here is her curved log cabin, which is on my to do list (some day)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZTP3h_tIGE

klswift 03-17-2018 07:26 AM

I do not mean to seem vague - but it is up to you. If you are comfortable with a 2 1/2 strip (finishing 2"), then work with that. Your center square will start at 2 1/2". If you are ok with skinnier, then use a 2" strip and end at 1 1/2". I personally prefer the larger to work with. Then make the blocks as large as you want. Typically they will have 12 strips - but do what you want. And then adjust your border numbers and size to finish it at the size you want. I agree that Ms. Burns is the queen of strip piecing and you will get a lot of help from her books - but - it is your quilt, make it as you will. I am currently doing the curvy log cabin where one side is 2 1/2" and the other is 1 1/2" and it makes it curve. No one would have ever done that years ago!