Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help enlarging my pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-enlarging-my-pattern-t153737.html)

sewhappy30 09-17-2011 02:41 PM

I have a few patterns mostly paper piecing, some regular piecing that are 5" unfinished ...4 1/2" finished. I would like to make these 12 1/2" unfinished...12" finished. I have a chart but it does not have 1/2" sizes. Can anyone tell me how much to enlarge this to make it 12 1/2" unfinished? Thanks!!

GrannieAnnie 09-17-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
I have a few patterns mostly paper piecing, some regular piecing that are 5" unfinished ...4 1/2" finished. I would like to make these 12 1/2" unfinished...12" finished. I have a chart but it does not have 1/2" sizes. Can anyone tell me how much to enlarge this to make it 12 1/2" unfinished? Thanks!!

Post the small block so we know what you are working on.

sewhappy30 09-17-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

I have dial up internet and it takes about 25 minutes to post one picture, so I never get to post pictures, sorry.

GrannieAnnie 09-17-2011 02:54 PM

I have dial up internet and it takes about 25 minutes to post one picture, so I never get to post pictures, sorry.

Lord, I know about the dial up. UGH! Do you know the block name? Got any idea where we could see it?

Do you need exactly 12.5? If not, you might simply take the pattern to a copy machine and enlarge about 250%

irishrose 09-17-2011 02:58 PM

This was sent to me last week when I asked a similar question, though mine was a much simpler pattern . http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

watterstide 09-17-2011 03:18 PM

can you find a picture of it on the net, and give us a link to it?

KarenK 09-17-2011 03:28 PM

Work with finished block sizes, then add the 1/4" seam allowance.

(New block size) divided by (current block size) times 100 = % to enlarge

12" divided by 4.5" times 100 = 266.66666666 or 267%

MTS 09-17-2011 03:34 PM

Are these Dear Jane blocks?

The paper pieced ones are easier.

You can blown them up, as suggested up thread, by 260%.
If you use extra big pieces on all the positions that hit the outer edges, you will able to trim down the block to 12.5" finished, without compromising the inner design.

As for the regular pieced blocks, you want to make sure that the underlying grid layout is the same.

For instance, if you have a 4.5" FINISHED 9-patch block, then each FINISHED unit its 1.5".
In a 12" FINISHED, version, that's easily enlarged to 4" FINISHED units.
Easy to cut and piece.

You don't want to end up having to deal with cutting pieces that measure 3-7/16".

So that's why the block names would be helpful.

Of course, you could use the same method as for the pp blocks.
Enlarge them, and either oversize the outer pieces, or put a little border around to get them to size so they match the other blocks.

ManiacQuilter2 09-17-2011 03:44 PM

I ALSO have dial up. You just need to change the size to no bigger than 9" on the longest side. Someone on the board may know where there is something for you to use. I have Photo Deluxe 4.0 which allows me to scan, prep the picture for e-mail and change the size. I had to download 7 pictures to PatriceJ each in a separate email with each taking about 2 minutes. Nice to know I am NOT the only person on a budget !!! MTS has the right answer so GOOD LUCK with your project!! :lol:

nativetexan 09-17-2011 04:12 PM

http://www.thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html
for copier use.