Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help enlarging my pattern

I have a few patterns mostly paper piecing, some regular piecing that are 5" unfinished ...4 1/2" finished. I would like to make these 12 1/2" unfinished...12" finished. I have a chart but it does not have 1/2" sizes. Can anyone tell me how much to enlarge this to make it 12 1/2" unfinished? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by sewhappy30
    I have a few patterns mostly paper piecing, some regular piecing that are 5" unfinished ...4 1/2" finished. I would like to make these 12 1/2" unfinished...12" finished. I have a chart but it does not have 1/2" sizes. Can anyone tell me how much to enlarge this to make it 12 1/2" unfinished? Thanks!!
    Post the small block so we know what you are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    I have dial up internet and it takes about 25 minutes to post one picture, so I never get to post pictures, sorry.

I have dial up internet and it takes about 25 minutes to post one picture, so I never get to post pictures, sorry.
    Lord, I know about the dial up. UGH! Do you know the block name? Got any idea where we could see it?

Do you need exactly 12.5? If not, you might simply take the pattern to a copy machine and enlarge about 250%

Blog Entries
    This was sent to me last week when I asked a similar question, though mine was a much simpler pattern . http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

Blog Entries
    can you find a picture of it on the net, and give us a link to it?

Blog Entries
    Work with finished block sizes, then add the 1/4" seam allowance.

(New block size) divided by (current block size) times 100 = % to enlarge

12" divided by 4.5" times 100 = 266.66666666 or 267%

MTS
    Banned
    Are these Dear Jane blocks?

The paper pieced ones are easier.

You can blown them up, as suggested up thread, by 260%.
    If you use extra big pieces on all the positions that hit the outer edges, you will able to trim down the block to 12.5" finished, without compromising the inner design.

As for the regular pieced blocks, you want to make sure that the underlying grid layout is the same.

For instance, if you have a 4.5" FINISHED 9-patch block, then each FINISHED unit its 1.5".
    In a 12" FINISHED, version, that's easily enlarged to 4" FINISHED units.
    Easy to cut and piece.

You don't want to end up having to deal with cutting pieces that measure 3-7/16".

So that's why the block names would be helpful.

Of course, you could use the same method as for the pp blocks.
    Enlarge them, and either oversize the outer pieces, or put a little border around to get them to size so they match the other blocks.

I ALSO have dial up. You just need to change the size to no bigger than 9" on the longest side. Someone on the board may know where there is something for you to use. I have Photo Deluxe 4.0 which allows me to scan, prep the picture for e-mail and change the size. I had to download 7 pictures to PatriceJ each in a separate email with each taking about 2 minutes. Nice to know I am NOT the only person on a budget !!! MTS has the right answer so GOOD LUCK with your project!! :lol:

Blog Entries

Thanks so much for all your advice. The blocks are the midget blocks from sentimental stitches. Some of the little blocks I would love to make into 12 1/2" blocks. I've always wanted to do the dear jane or farmer's wife quilts. I have both the books, but I have to have patterns to go by. The midget blocks are 4 1/2" blocks just like dear jane but with patterns that I can follow. So I'm going to get started on making this quilt. Thanks again everyone I appreciate your help.

there's 187 4 1/2" blocks in this quilt. It's an antique sampler made in the 1930's. A lot of the blocks are paper pieced, which I love to do. The first 50 had expired off of the website but you can purchase them on there, the others are all still free to download, if anyone is interested in making this quilt just wanted to let you know about it. I can't wait to get started on it.

MTS
    Banned
    Here's a link to the quilt:
    http://sentimentalstitches.net/free-...midget-blocks/

I hadn't heard of this one (but then I've been hiding from my DJ blocks for years ;-) ).
    The last thing I need is another project to feel guilty about.

That said, Gay of Sentimental Stitches has written detailed instructions for each block.
    A set of blocks is available for free for a certain time period, then retired and only available by purchase.
    Seems very fair.
    http://sentimentalstitches.myshopify...-1930s-sampler

Thanks for mentioning it.
    It's nice to know what's out there.

WIth my paper piece patterns I just increased the size on my copy machine until I got the size I wanted.

I enlarge my patterns on my printer. Or...you could take it to kinkos & let them do it.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    This was sent to me last week when I asked a similar question, though mine was a much simpler pattern . http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
    I'm missing something. What has a poster got to do with enlarging a quilt block?

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    Work with finished block sizes, then add the 1/4" seam allowance.

(New block size) divided by (current block size) times 100 = % to enlarge

12" divided by 4.5" times 100 = 266.66666666 or 267%
    12.5 unfinished divided by 5 UNFINISHED is 250%

MTS
    Banned
    12.5 unfinished divided by 5 UNFINISHED is 250%
    Re-read the OP.
    4.5" FINISHED
    12.5" UNFINISHED, 12" FINISHED

You don't do the reductions and enlargements based on the UNFINISHED size.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    You guys who can't enlarge on your own, need to copy this chart and keep it handy!

http://www.thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html is a great resource for enlarging using a copy machine

Try this

To enlarge: Size you want = 12" and Current size = 4"
    12/4=3 (answer times 100 = 300%)
    To reduce: Size you want = 7" and Current size = 12"
    7/12=.58 (answer times 100 = 58%)

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    You guys who can't enlarge on your own, need to copy this chart and keep it handy!
    I now have a copy of this posted right beside my machine. I just wasn't sure about the 1/2" size or which to go by finished or unfinished. MTS answered that question for me as well, the finished size. Thanks everyone.

Take your pattern piece(s) to your copy store. They have a conversion chart that will tell you what percentage to copy it at. Either copy your pieces at the store, or just make one copy anduse it to make others at home. Hope this works for you; I do it all the time.

Gee, Another one to tackle, now I guess I will have to purchase the first 50 blocks. What a great website you linked us to MTS!!!!:)

I'd take the pattern to a copy place since there's a big difference in the enlargement. If its an easy pattern and you just need to enlarge it a little you can use graph paprer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast