Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help to get past just stitching in the ditch! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-get-past-just-stitching-ditch-t81819.html)

montanajan 12-09-2010 11:24 PM

Fairly new quilter - have several tops ready to be quilted, usually do small projects to avoid any quilting that is complicated. How did you experienced quilters go beyond basics in machine finishing? I've done cathedral windows, quilt-as-you-go & in the ditch - my attempts at even meandering look so messy I've quit trying. HELP!

pab 12-09-2010 11:48 PM

When I started out I needed to practice ,practice practice.Things do get betterr and once the quilt is washedthe boo-boos disappear...dont get discouraged.pab

montanajan 12-10-2010 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by pab
When I started out I needed to practice ,practice practice.Things do get betterr and once the quilt is washedthe boo-boos disappear...dont get discouraged.pab

Thanks for the encouragement

CompulsiveQuilter 12-10-2010 01:42 AM

I took the plunge to FMQ with placemats - the first set for myself, so it didn't matter so much that they were ... uh, WAY less than perfect. Second meandering attempt was placemats for my mom - who would think they were wonderful no matter what. SMALL SMALL projects was the key for me. I'm getting a little more confident and ready to tackle a lap quilt next. Keep practicing!

jodimarie 12-10-2010 02:23 AM

Baby quilts helped me get over the hump!! Big enough to teach you how to handle fabric while free motioning but nothing like a King size monster. Babies don't care and Moms are too frazled to notice seams that don't match or quilting that is ''strange''.....she is just thankful for a clean blanket with pretty colors!! And yes, after a good washing/drying, most of the quilt designs ''soften'' and goofs are really not noticable.

Dog beds/mats for a local shelter is another good idea for practice pieces.

jodi in leavenworth

SuziC 12-10-2010 03:31 AM

I agree with the others, practice is the key. Start small and keep going..you will get better at it the more you do it. Don't stress...it's suppose to be fun :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

sewcrafty 12-10-2010 03:38 AM

Just make a sandwich and go go go!! A lot of women can put the pedal to the metal and do it great, me I set machine at low-med speed and enjoy. Also, check your manual for the correct tension, you might have to adjust it to avoid the eyelashes on the back.

SherriB 12-10-2010 04:51 AM

I am right there with you! I have tried FMQ but just can't get the tension right on my machine. I have a Singer 301 and Santa is bringing a darning foot for it. I hope to try FMQ after Christmas. Lots of members say it is easier to FMQ on the older machines.

candi 12-10-2010 05:22 AM

I am right there with you. I have a muslin sandwich next to my machine, and I practice almost every time I sit on the machine for a couple of minutes, it DOES get better. I am now at the point where my stippling on small size quilts look OK. Can't for the life of me do it on bigger quilts, too unorganized and the quilt is heavy. But I did ask Santa for the FM slider to help the bigger quilt "slide" on your machine, so maybe this will help.

Also, a couple of things that helped me where reducing the motor speed to half, and then floor the pedal, this way the speed is constant, and I can just control moving the fabric.

We will get it one day:)

yetta 12-10-2010 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by candi
I am right there with you. I have a muslin sandwich next to my machine, and I practice almost every time I sit on the machine for a couple of minutes, it DOES get better. I am now at the point where my stippling on small size quilts look OK. Can't for the life of me do it on bigger quilts, too unorganized and the quilt is heavy. But I did ask Santa for the FM slider to help the bigger quilt "slide" on your machine, so maybe this will help.

Also, a couple of things that helped me where reducing the motor speed to half, and then floor the pedal, this way the speed is constant, and I can just control moving the fabric.

We will get it one day:)

me too...hang in there...I keep thinking I am being given the opportunity to practice patience and fmq at the same time,