Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with how to wash a mildewed polyester (?) king sized comforter. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-how-wash-mildewed-polyester-king-sized-comforter-t64421.html)

barnbum 09-12-2010 03:22 PM

The story: my son and his new wife's dog tossed his cookies on their new kind sized comforter. :roll: They quickly tossed it into their washing machine, and it proceeded to break (they thought) their washer and rip/melt the comforter. They tossed the comforter on the line, thinking it was a lost cause, and it didn't dry well and now smells like mildew.

Mark and I visited last week; Mark and Justin fixed the dryer, and I told Jenny I could mend the comforter. I assigned her the task of finding a piece of fabric at Joanne's she liked. She did (perfect color!), and I will work out the mending. The piece she chose is polyester to match the blanket.

So---my plan to mend it is to double up on the fabric (it's thin), then make a patch to machine appliqué over the melted spot. There's a second tear on a corner that will be tricky, but I'll work out something.

I washed the fabricJenny picked by hand --and have it on air dry in the dryer--hoping to get it to dry. It's a damp day and our heat isn't on, so it's tough to dry stuff.

So--this comforter stinks! I'm thinking to wash it in the bath tub in detergent and do a vinegar rinse, but how the heck does one dry the thing?? Will it need to be dry cleaned?

Help.

bkb 09-12-2010 03:25 PM

take it to a laundry mat use the big washers use vinegar and tumble dry there in their big dryers

barnbum 09-12-2010 03:28 PM

Thanks, bkb. I wish we had done that before I got it. :lol:

amma 09-12-2010 03:30 PM

I would take it to the laundramat too, $4 should wash it and I would put baking soda in with the laundry soap and vinegar in the rinse cycle :wink:
You could either line dry it or dry it there on a medium setting :D:D:D

bearisgray 09-12-2010 03:31 PM

Those great big front loading machines are wonderful for things like this.

Call the laundromat first to see if they have the super large washers - not all of them do.

barnbum 09-12-2010 03:32 PM

Thanks, amma!! I think I'll do that soon--peeyew!! :lol:

bears--I was wondering about that because the ones in the college town my daughter is in are TINY!!! And they cost a lot! Thank goodness she has a washer and dryer in her house this year.

I'll check first.

Tink's Mom 09-12-2010 03:44 PM

I usually hang mine in the yard on the clothes line...but , I have taken it to a laundramat during the winter when Tink tossed her cookies on the quilt. She actually got up on the bed to do it... :thumbdown:

barnbum 09-12-2010 03:47 PM

Tink--I read that they do that because they want to be near the ones they love when they don't feel well. So--it was because Tink loves you, just as Bo loves them. :wink:

I hope Buddy doesn't love me that much. :lol:

bkb 09-12-2010 03:50 PM

Lot of people don't have clothes lines anymore. Bought this house in 78 and put up little telephone poles an have the cross arm on them. Insulators are from DH when he took down telegraph lines. The cross arms are from my grandmothers place. They are still standing and in great condition.

mom-6 09-12-2010 03:55 PM

If there are mildew spots as well as smell, Oxi-Clean works wonders. If it's just the odor, baking soda is great.