Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with how - or whether - to quilt this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-how-whether-quilt-t300917.html)

Lee in Richmond 11-14-2018 11:13 AM

Need help with how - or whether - to quilt this

2 Attachment(s)
I was given a piece of fabric that seems like the prefect colors for my son's dining room, and he said he would like a runner for his buffet. Okay so far. I was also given a lovely hank of cotton I could use for backing, and of course have lots of batting.

The issue is the top -- it is probably polyester, as I threw it in the washer and it came out okay. It is silky and embroidered (photo below), and will likely show holes, but I really do not know whether to try to run stitches close to the embroidery in some places, or just span the 20" width unencumbered. . .

To quilt or not to quilt? I do not see how I could tie it, what with the embroidery.

I am using Hobbs Heirloom Cotton batting.

Doggramma 11-14-2018 11:49 AM

I think I'd use a brown fine silk thread and do some machine stitching following some of the curves. Just enough to hold it together with the backing and batting.

Jingle 11-14-2018 12:44 PM

Doggramma has good idea.

I just know it needs some kind of quilting to hold the three layers together.

Tartan 11-14-2018 02:51 PM

Yes match the background thread colour and quilt beside the embroidery swirls. It’s going to be pretty!

Karamarie 02-22-2019 05:16 AM

Totally agree with posts above. I made window valences with similar fabric.

Lee in Richmond 02-22-2019 05:30 AM

Sorry -- I didn't realize I'd left this out there without sharing the final resolution! First of all, I ruined the silk or poly fabric with the pin holes -- could not get them to close up once pins were removed (to envelope it instead). I did have enough fabric to make it again. Secondly, the idea from the quilt shop, which I followed, was to tack it with matching [blue] thread at the "intersections" in the embroidery. This was a gift, so I am not sure how well it's behaving in their house, but it was intended to cover a buffet and not get much actual usage. Can't seem to find a photo of it at the moment.

dublb 02-22-2019 07:05 AM

I wouldn’t quilt it at all I would get rid of the batting & use a light weight 2sidef fusible to fuse the top & backing.

ckcowl 02-22-2019 07:44 AM

The thing about Hobbs heirloom cotton is it needs to be quilted every 2-4” so I would use a thread that is going to blend in with the background and echo, following the designs. If you use a fine thread and small needle holes shouldn’t be an issue.

Irishrose2 02-22-2019 08:35 AM

IMO, not all tablerunners need to be quilted. I'd take out the batting and add binding. It could be sandwiched, but I'm not good at that.

sewnclog 02-22-2019 12:36 PM

I was thinking the same thing - echoing around the swirls; it's a beautiful piece of fabric.