Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help with a problem I encountered (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-problem-i-encountered-t75760.html)

wildyard 11-11-2010 12:27 PM

When binding this last quilt, I had the misfortune of having one of the diagonal join seams come up exactly at the corner. I didn't know what else to do but work with it. Needless to say, it was not the neatest corner in the world; bulky and a bit messy. The quilt is fleece and for a 3 yr. old and he won't mind a bit. But my question is: What do you do if this happens when you are making a quilt that you want your corners to all be nice and attractive?
Thanks for your suggestions, in advance, smiles. I know you will offer lots of help. You are all so wonderful.

Ditter43 11-11-2010 12:31 PM

I had that happen just today! I saw what was going to happen before I got to the corner. I cut it several inches short of the corner and rejoined it there..... :thumbup: :D

np3 11-11-2010 12:32 PM

I always lay the binding out first before I start sewing and make sure that the diagonal seams aren't close to a corner. I play around until I like the placement and that determines where I start stitching. If need be, you can adjust the length of one of your strips.

PurplePassion 11-11-2010 12:34 PM

I try to check it out ahead and if it is going to line up that way, I will cut it off shorter and rejoin it . My corners are messy enough without have a big seam there.

EasyPeezy 11-11-2010 12:44 PM

Been there done that. Now I do what np3 does. Put a pin where you want to
start and just go around the whole quilt and check if any joints will be
at the corner. If so, move a bit until all corners are clear. :D

wildyard 11-11-2010 12:45 PM

LMBO!!! Planning Ahead, who woulda thunk it!! What a unique idea. DUH on me. LOL.
I was in such a hurry to finish this quilt and get it in the mail, and have so overextended myself the past several days, guess the fibrofog rolled in thicker than I realized.
Y'all are so great, even if you are having a good snicker behind your hands. I am having a good laugh here myself. The answer is so very obvious once one sees it.
I made this quilt for a 3yr. old boy who is related to my DGD's friend. He has cancer and starts treatment in less than a week, and I so want him to have his quilt before then. The label says, "For Ryan from Olivia and her family". She asked me to make it for him so he could be warm while he is sick. How could I not do it.

gale 11-11-2010 12:53 PM

That happened with my first wall size quilt. My first ever continuous binding. Now I do what the other do-check ahead to make sure all the corners are at least 4 or 5 inches from a seam.

bearisgray 11-11-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I had that happen just today! I saw what was going to happen before I got to the corner. I cut it several inches short of the corner and rejoined it there..... :thumbup: :D

Me, too.

I usually have the binding several inches longer than the required length to allow myself some wiggle room in case I need to do some adjusting at the corners.

dgsmom 11-11-2010 12:59 PM

that is so thoughtful of your dgd to think about taking care of someone else.

amma 11-11-2010 01:12 PM

I am not laughing at you, but with you :wink: been there and done that too!! :oops: :lol:
Now I roughly lay it out before hand and try to get the joins laying towards the center of the sides, or atleast a ways away from the corners :D:D:D