Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help salvaging this ugly quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-salvaging-ugly-quilt-t293478.html)

DeneK 12-21-2017 02:18 PM

Need help salvaging this ugly quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a Robert Kauffman layer cake package thinking if all the colors are from the same designer and already sorted as a grouping, how could I go wrong? Well this is definitely wrong. I didn't like it from the time I started putting it together. But it was the first time I ever used solids and thought if I persisted, it would get better and that when finished, my talented LAer would be able to add magic to give it interest and texture. But when I saw it spread over my friend's queen size bed to see how it would fit the size, I absolutely hated it... I have started taking it apart. But is there anything I can do with the blocks to make it better. Separately the colors are nice. Together they just don't seem to work.

The intended recipient wants something with teal -- has teal and brown bedroom.

nativetexan 12-21-2017 02:20 PM

maybe make blocks of four patches and use sashings. or turn each one on point and add squares...

Tartan 12-21-2017 02:24 PM

I like it and see it quilted with a white snowflake pattern.

Chester the bunny 12-21-2017 02:25 PM

I would use the squares that you have as corner units of a D9P, using navy as the four inner squares and a purple/lilac for the centre square.
Might be interesting.
Maybe do a test run with one 9 patch unit....

JustAbitCrazy 12-21-2017 02:43 PM

I think it needs a little bit of a "zinger" color to liven it up. I was going to suggest a very white white, but do you have that in there already? ....maybe if the zinger color was used as a thin sashing between blocks, which would be a simple way to add it. if you already have a bright white in there, I'd look for a dark fabric (a really dark teal?) for thin sashings, something to provide some contrast.

Genden 12-21-2017 02:56 PM

What is i5 that you don’t like about it? Is it the colors or is it the pattern?

QuiltnNan 12-21-2017 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It would look something like this if you used brown sashing. Does that look better?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585837[/ATTACH]

Teen 12-21-2017 03:25 PM

Quiltnan...you are amazing to whip this out. That looks awesome..

I love the colors in this quilt top.... Black sashing would be really dramatic.....white sashing would pretty too... Or yellow may be pretty too. Geesh...the options! The on-point with lattice someone mentioned would be cool too.

Teen 12-21-2017 03:33 PM

Another idea.... Use a solid inner border to break up the blocks...for instance: center of 4x5 blocks and place solid border..then another row of blocks...then a solid outer border.

Jennifer23 12-21-2017 03:41 PM

I would try sorting the blocks: dark, medium-dark, medium-light and light. Then arrange them in a gradient. This might make it more cohesive.