Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help salvaging this ugly quilt

Need help salvaging this ugly quilt

I bought a Robert Kauffman layer cake package thinking if all the colors are from the same designer and already sorted as a grouping, how could I go wrong? Well this is definitely wrong. I didn't like it from the time I started putting it together. But it was the first time I ever used solids and thought if I persisted, it would get better and that when finished, my talented LAer would be able to add magic to give it interest and texture. But when I saw it spread over my friend's queen size bed to see how it would fit the size, I absolutely hated it... I have started taking it apart. But is there anything I can do with the blocks to make it better. Separately the colors are nice. Together they just don't seem to work.

The intended recipient wants something with teal -- has teal and brown bedroom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    maybe make blocks of four patches and use sashings. or turn each one on point and add squares...

Power Poster
    I like it and see it quilted with a white snowflake pattern.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I would use the squares that you have as corner units of a D9P, using navy as the four inner squares and a purple/lilac for the centre square.
    Might be interesting.
    Maybe do a test run with one 9 patch unit....
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

I think it needs a little bit of a "zinger" color to liven it up. I was going to suggest a very white white, but do you have that in there already? ....maybe if the zinger color was used as a thin sashing between blocks, which would be a simple way to add it. if you already have a bright white in there, I'd look for a dark fabric (a really dark teal?) for thin sashings, something to provide some contrast.

What is i5 that you don’t like about it? Is it the colors or is it the pattern?

Blog Entries
    It would look something like this if you used brown sashing. Does that look better?

Name:  teal.BMP
Views: 2929
Size:  1.37 MB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quiltnan...you are amazing to whip this out. That looks awesome..

I love the colors in this quilt top.... Black sashing would be really dramatic.....white sashing would pretty too... Or yellow may be pretty too. Geesh...the options! The on-point with lattice someone mentioned would be cool too.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Another idea.... Use a solid inner border to break up the blocks...for instance: center of 4x5 blocks and place solid border..then another row of blocks...then a solid outer border.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I would try sorting the blocks: dark, medium-dark, medium-light and light. Then arrange them in a gradient. This might make it more cohesive.

This was one of the things I was considering, but when I tried out all the brown I have (mostly scraps) just to see how it would look, the browns didn't help. Yours looks better than the colors I had. Maybe I am going to have to take some of this to a fabric store to find a match.

I considered this too ... The white is really a Very light blue/green. I think the lightest colors seem to be dissonant in the blocks and would work better as sashing.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-22-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: remove shouting

I should have done something like this. But now that I have the blocks sewn together, there are too many lights mixed with the darks.

Personally I would add a pop of golden yellow and/or orange. Take some blocks and replace one of the four sectionsi with the pop color. It doesn’t need to be every block, maybe about half of them. You might even be able to do only about a third of the blocks and distribute them sort of randomly around the quilt.

That is another good idea.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm with bjchad--some pops of color--like a goldenrod or a bright violet, would really make this into a very modern quilt. I'd do that without any sashing, mixing in a few pops of color into the blocks, then use 3 borders--about a 1-2" one of one of the teals (either the very light or the darkest), a VERY thin strip of the "pop" color and then a wider border of either the dark or the light (whichever you didn't use on the first one). I do think getting used to all solids quilts takes awhile!

Can you make a center medallion with blue/teal and brown and use the odd blocks as a wide border? Then find a teal and brown print as an outer border/binding? When I squint, I see the blocks you have as sort of a crazy quilt.

I haven't seriously "taken this apart" but I'm wondering if it's the placement of the pieces that is the problem. Can those be arranged so it's somewhat a pinwheel or whirligig design with the dark blue and the light making secondary designs? What does your pattern suggest for arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
    I would try sorting the blocks: dark, medium-dark, medium-light and light. Then arrange them in a gradient. This might make it more cohesive.
    I think this suggestion would be good!

I don't like adding the brown...but I don't like brown in any form other than hardwood floors or furniture (LOL)

I think it needs pops of color....maybe some subtle prints..I don't know how old the recipent is...polka dots?? geometric shape - circles, visions of bubbles floating in the air...Sometimes a batik can give you that subtle prints
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I can understand how you feel about your quilt at this point. It seems that the squares were put together randomly-which can be OK. However, when the squares got put together some of the dark color and some of the light color seem to be 'clumped' together. The randomness got lost and any definition disappeared into confusion. You mentioned that the recipient has used teal and brown in the room where it will be used. I think the brown needs to be addressed. I really like Quilting Nan's approach. It gives organization to the blocks. I think the use of borders would help a lot. I think your blocks have lots of potential but you need to be friends with your ripper. Please show us what you decide to do. Try not to be discouraged as you forge ahead.

I think quilts with solids look kind of blah until you get them quilted. I always like them better after they are quilted. If your friend likes the colors then I wouldn't change it. As a quilter if you miss prints, then find a printed fabric for the border, but otherwise don't stress, just finish it. JMHO
    Peggy

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."
    -Chinese proverb
    http://peggybsquilting.blogspot.com/

Hi DeneK, I have made one of these before. My blues were bluejeans. If you could make more blocks that have many colors and alternate them , it would add more interest. It would also give you two quilts
    Have discovered paper piecing!
    OH YEAH

I am thinking what others are. A little sashing in a neutral color could break that up nicely.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I think what Nan's EQ rendition does well is continuity. In your photo, the blocks are randomly turned. In Nan's quilt they are repeated in a certain order. I think that would help. It seems just too jumbled to me. The sashing will help, too.

I made a Blue quilt a while back, too. I hated it at first. It was a "quartered stripe" pattern. A friend suggested I use white sashing and set it on point. I kept looking at it and did sash it in white. It helped.

I'm sure setting it on point would have made all the difference, but it was more than I wanted to tackle, as I am not very experienced. It's now in my UFO pile. I don't hate it as much as I did. However, I don't like it enough to spend $160.00 to get it quilted, either.

Sometimes, they just don't turn out like we imagined.

bkay
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-22-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: remove shouting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast