Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice on Salvaging Vintage Quilt Blocks >

Need Advice on Salvaging Vintage Quilt Blocks

Need Advice on Salvaging Vintage Quilt Blocks

Old 10-22-2017, 04:02 PM

Default Need Advice on Salvaging Vintage Quilt Blocks

I inherited a vintage hand quilted crazy quilt made from taffeta, silk, corduroy and muslin fabrics from my husband's aunt. The quilt is 63 x 70 (seven inch blocks) and in sad, sad shape; just 16 blocks have not deteriorated beyond rescue. The quilt was given to me because I'm the only one in the family who regularly picks up a needle. Nobody in the family cares about the historic value of the quilt. Sigh. The only good news is that the deceased auntie took several pictures of the quilt before it deteriorated.

I want to turn the 16 salvageable blocks into a wall hanging, but I'm not sure how to do it so, please, send me some advice if you have any to offer. I hesitate to pick up my shears without some guidance on how to cut out the good blocks. Do they need to be stabilized and then sewn onto another fabric and made into larger blocks which I can assemble as usual?

Does anybody know if I will be wasting my time?
Old 10-22-2017, 04:10 PM

I would baste around any block that you intend to salvage, if the center is unmanageable, I would baste a cross through the block. Then cut using some of the neighboring block for putting it back together.

I used to do this to rag rugs that were burned, dog chewed or chemical burned. Some were just not worth it.

Marcia
Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 PM

Perhaps an idea for the deteriorated blocks. This past weekend I saw a youtube video featuring textile artist Fay Maxwell she covered a purse/bag with lots of silk threads covered it with tule to keep all the silk threads in place.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:41 AM

Thanks for your comments, ladies. I have cut out the good blocks - 21 - and will turn them into a framed under glass wall hanging.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:26 PM

We had a lap size piece like you have described and my youngest DD put in under glass in a frame - very nice.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

If it were mine - some questions I would be asking myself:

Would I have bought it - at a yard sale, at a thrift shop, at an antique shop?

How much sentimental value does this have for me or any other family member?

If the sentimental value is great, how much effort do I want (or can) put into it?

Are the usable blocks attractive? I've heard of people making pincushions of small blocks. Teddy bears. Or framed and made into pictures.

All the blocks scattered throughout the quilt?

Some fabrics do disintegrate over time. I think it's the equivalent of a car rusting out and turning into big orange flakes.

Maybe a fad can be started for "tattered quilts" similar to the "torn, faded, abraded" jeans that people wear.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

If it were mine - some questions I would be asking myself:

Would I have bought it - at a yard sale, at a thrift shop, at an antique shop?

How much sentimental value does this have for me or any other family member?

If the sentimental value is great, how much effort do I want (or can) put into it?

Are the usable blocks attractive? I've heard of people making pincushions of small blocks. Teddy bears. Or framed and made into pictures.

Are the blocks in better condition scattered throughout the quilt?

Some fabrics do disintegrate over time. I think it's the equivalent of a car rusting out and turning into big orange flakes.

Maybe a fad can be started for "tattered quilts" similar to the "torn, faded, abraded" jeans that people wear.