Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need to know why everyone buys vintage Singers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-know-why-everyone-buys-vintage-singers-t106123.html)

purplefiend 03-09-2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by gemmyfrog
I've got the same question. I found a Singer, dated 1908, but I don't think it's a featherweight? Should I buy it?

Of course! Just make sure it has the bobbin case/shuttle. Most of the other parts can be found.

purplefiend 03-09-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Yorkielover5

Originally Posted by Marmie
You are absolutely right.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
I've been reading how some of you have found Singer featherweights and love them...My question is "do you really use them or are they just for display".
I've been researching them because you all made me curious and find that if I were to buy one it would be a 301A. But why would I buy one, would I really use it when I have the modern sewing machines...

Because absolutely NOTHING made today comes anywhere near the quality or strength of these grand old machines. They were made to last several lifetimes, which is why they are still going strong and are passed from generation to generation.

I love the precision they have, versus some of the newer machines I've owned that sound like a lawnmower and balk at sewing over 4 layers of thin cotton.

Try it, you'll like it!

Oh Yes! My mother patched Dad's canvas overalls. That's heavy canvas, 4 layers! New machines don't do that.

I make thick potholders with my 201K treadle machine,
sewing through 4 layers of cotton batting,2 layers of cotton and also binding. No complaining or horrible noises. Course I put in a size 110/18 denim needle to help things along. :-D

kathome 03-09-2011 08:47 PM

Since I haven't read every single reply my thoughts have probably already been said.

I have a Featherweight for the awesome-est (is that a word?) straight stitch, ease of carrying to wherever, and also to hear the sound that the machine makes. It's like no other. I also have a 501 that will sew through ANYTHING and keep on going.

Like my GE steam iron from 1970, the old machines were built to last.

For the "fancy stuff" I love my Brother 820.

k9dancer 03-09-2011 09:21 PM

When your computerized machine is in the shop, you'll be glad to have an 'old reliable.'

Love2sew 03-09-2011 10:13 PM

Thank you! I was wondering what's a big deal about Featherweight I'm sure it awesome having one.

Nita 03-10-2011 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Originally Posted by gemmyfrog
I've got the same question. I found a Singer, dated 1908, but I don't think it's a featherweight? Should I buy it?

Of course! Just make sure it has the bobbin case/shuttle. Most of the other parts can be found.

Just so you know, a Singer dated 1908 is NOT a Featherweight. Featherweights were not manufactured until the early 1930's

deema 03-10-2011 05:27 AM

I wouldn't buy a machine if I didn't intend to use it. I just got my featherweight a couple of weeks ago, and am piecing my first top with it right now! This cute little baby of mine sews a tighter, straighter stitch than my new computerized machine.

I bought a featherweight because I wanted a sturdy but small machine to keep upstairs (my sewing space is in the basement) so that I could do some piece work up here. I hated abandoning my husband every evening to go downstairs all alone. I love my quilting, but love my husband more and wanted to at least share some space with him. This way, we can chat and be together, even if I'm sewing and he's watching TV. I still do all of my cutting and most of my quilting downstairs, but I do the piece work up here. It's also nice because I can sit and sew while the kids are playing or having lunch which I couldn't do before because the baby is still learning his way around solid foods and might choke.

vivoaks 03-10-2011 05:30 AM

After reading everyone's comments on here about Featherweights, I started looking for one, but always found the price a bit high for me. Then I started reasearching the 301A, and eventually ended up buying one. Right now it's my "backup" machine, but I expect in a few years, when I start attending the guild's sewing weekends and retreats, I'm sure it will come in handy! :-)

Numa 03-10-2011 05:43 AM

You will love the 301. I got rid of my FW in favor of it and I've never regretted it in the least little bit. To me, it's a better machine by far.

Annaquilts 03-10-2011 06:04 AM

We own several of them. My DH sews on the 301 just about every evening. They are very nice work horses and it is not too hard to find parts for most vintage singers as they were so common.