Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need last minute valentines idea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-last-minute-valentines-idea-t177046.html)

conniemaried 01-26-2012 11:34 AM

Need last minute valentines idea

I need an idea for an easy and quick Valentines present for my 84 year old mother. She lives in a retirement village, and said today that all her friends have been bragging about the creative things their daughters make for them. OK, I got the hint--I've been neglecting the small gifts I used to make for her while zeroing in on bigger projects. Now I'm desperate for something that I can make and mail in time. Any ideas? So far, the best thing I can come up with is a heart shaped pieced "mug rug." My project could either be pieced or utilize the embroidery machine (5x7 limitation). There's got to be some good projects out there somewhere. Please help me find something unique and creative. Thanks, Connie

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 01-26-2012 11:36 AM

What about a quilted postcard?

MaryMo 01-26-2012 11:39 AM

a lap quilt? or quilted vest?

irishrose 01-26-2012 11:42 AM

Can she hang anything on the outside of her door with a suction cup? A small heart wallhanging would be both welcoming and on display to those friends. Then you could change it seasonally. Quilterscache should have a heart block. If not, it wouldn't be hard to draft one with plain blocks and HSTs.

conniemaried 01-26-2012 12:18 PM

I had never heard of Quilters Cache, so looked it up, and looks like it will take a lot of research to find a heart pattern. Any way to do a "search " on that site? Anyway, that gave me the inspiration to google "heart shaped quilt block" and I found www.with-heart-and-hands.com and it has a lot of heart shaped ideas. Looks like I might find the basics for a wall hanging there. Good ideas, thanks. Connie

Scissor Queen 01-26-2012 12:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You could do something like this wall hanging. Just use Wonder Under and cut out your hearts and instead of sewing them down and then quilting, layer and sew around the appliques. That way it's appliqued and quilted at the same time.

I added lace down one side and across the bottom. You wouldn't have to do the piping and it would go faster.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306412[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306413[/ATTACH]

sandy l 01-26-2012 12:48 PM

Very pretty wall hanging

Quiltngolfer 01-26-2012 02:32 PM

Look at Moda Bake Shop. They have some cute Valentine projects.

pls1946 01-26-2012 02:54 PM

On the right side of the with-heart-and-hands.com site , there are a lot of links to some different hearts......some really nice!

Froggiey 01-26-2012 02:59 PM

Does she use a walker? How about a pretty bag for her walker all decorated up for valentines. Also, I have had a beauty shop in a retirement center for 27 years. The ladies love it when someone gives them a gift certificut to have their hair done.