Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need last minute valentines idea

Need last minute valentines idea

I need an idea for an easy and quick Valentines present for my 84 year old mother. She lives in a retirement village, and said today that all her friends have been bragging about the creative things their daughters make for them. OK, I got the hint--I've been neglecting the small gifts I used to make for her while zeroing in on bigger projects. Now I'm desperate for something that I can make and mail in time. Any ideas? So far, the best thing I can come up with is a heart shaped pieced "mug rug." My project could either be pieced or utilize the embroidery machine (5x7 limitation). There's got to be some good projects out there somewhere. Please help me find something unique and creative. Thanks, Connie

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    What about a quilted postcard?

a lap quilt? or quilted vest?
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    Can she hang anything on the outside of her door with a suction cup? A small heart wallhanging would be both welcoming and on display to those friends. Then you could change it seasonally. Quilterscache should have a heart block. If not, it wouldn't be hard to draft one with plain blocks and HSTs.

I had never heard of Quilters Cache, so looked it up, and looks like it will take a lot of research to find a heart pattern. Any way to do a "search " on that site? Anyway, that gave me the inspiration to google "heart shaped quilt block" and I found www.with-heart-and-hands.com and it has a lot of heart shaped ideas. Looks like I might find the basics for a wall hanging there. Good ideas, thanks. Connie

You could do something like this wall hanging. Just use Wonder Under and cut out your hearts and instead of sewing them down and then quilting, layer and sew around the appliques. That way it's appliqued and quilted at the same time.

I added lace down one side and across the bottom. You wouldn't have to do the piping and it would go faster.

Name:  DSCN2132 sm.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  DSCN2138 sm.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  73.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Very pretty wall hanging

Look at Moda Bake Shop. They have some cute Valentine projects.

On the right side of the with-heart-and-hands.com site , there are a lot of links to some different hearts......some really nice!
    Penny aka PLS 1946

Does she use a walker? How about a pretty bag for her walker all decorated up for valentines. Also, I have had a beauty shop in a retirement center for 27 years. The ladies love it when someone gives them a gift certificut to have their hair done.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    This tutorial might help. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...y-t176619.html

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Four squares by four squares, 6 reds or dark pinks, 2 lights and 8 R/L HSTs with a border and a hanger and you're good to go. The picture has 3 by 4, but it's not symetrical. I just included it so you can see what I'm talking about. Name:  Heart block.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  1.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
    I had never heard of Quilters Cache, so looked it up, and looks like it will take a lot of research to find a heart pattern. Any way to do a "search " on that site? Anyway, that gave me the inspiration to google "heart shaped quilt block" and I found www.with-heart-and-hands.com and it has a lot of heart shaped ideas. Looks like I might find the basics for a wall hanging there. Good ideas, thanks. Connie
    There is a beautiful pieced heart on Quilters Cache I think its called patchwork heart

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    There is a beautiful pieced heart on Quilters Cache I think its called patchwork heart
    OK, I'm back from doing errands and have supper fixed, so now I'll go back to Quilters Cache at my leisure and try to find that. I was just too rushed this afternoon, and all those pages seemed rather daunting. I appreciate this suggestion, and all the other responses I've gotten. I'll do my research this evening and see what project I can tackle with the stash I have on hand. Unfortunately there are no local fabric stores, so I'm also limited to usung whatever I have on hand. I will try to plan better in the future. Don't like feeling rushed when I'm creating. Ya'll are the greatest for listening to me and trying to help me out. Thanks bunches.

Blog Entries
    When you go quilterscache, go to the bottom and click on 'quilt blocks galore'. Then look for the Patchy Heart alphabetically.

A small table runner to use as a dresser scarf, or a small heart shaped placemat for a small table or tray topper. Loved the idea of the decorated walker bag or mini door hanging. My Mom lived in an assisted living home for several years and bragging rights are very important to them; and they DO keep score!

Another idea- make a quick pillowcase with some pretty heart or flower fabric. You tube has a tutorial.

I made my mom a hanging card holder to put the cards in. I also included small note paper and writing utensil for anyone visiting or helping her to add little "love" notes.
    "Not everything that comes into your head should come out your mouth!"

A lot of great ideas here, I like the ideas of a shawl to keep her warm and she can prould display what you made her.
    Here is one I like.
    http://www.e-patternscentral.com/det...l?prod_id=6081

I have bookmarked a pattern for a fleece wrap, really quick and easy. What did I do with it though?
    Last edited by deedum; 01-27-2012 at 07:17 PM.

How about a heart shaped mug rug, along with a mug filled with heart shaped chocolates.

Power Poster
    Does she knit or crochet? One of those roll up holders for her needles/hooks out of Valentine fabric would be nice. Maybe she would like some pretty hankies from the Valentine hanky fabric that is out. How about a little Valentine table topper for her bedside table? There is the easy tissue holder for kleenex on the tutorial section. You could maybe do up a few of those in Valentine fabrics, put the tissues in them for her to give to her friends or workers?