Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a machine to take to guild and classes-suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-machine-take-guild-classes-suggestions-t263511.html)

Linda71 04-03-2015 12:10 AM

Need a machine to take to guild and classes-suggestions

I have a Brother Laura Ashley and I love it. I want a smaller take along machine(my older Elna is getting older and tired). I would like a Pfaff because it has the drop down walking foot. However, the Brother dealership in my area is just a better place to go. Is the pfaff walking foot worth it.

Knitette 04-03-2015 12:53 AM

Absolutely! I didn't make friends with my first Pfaff (turned out to be faulty and was replaced) but now I wouldn't have any other brand.

Last year I went to a quilt show with the intention of possibly buying a top of the range Bernina (already had the Pfaff 4.0), but when I discovered I would still have to use a walking foot (at a cost of an extra $160!), I bought a Pfaff Performance 5 instead. Love it.

For a take along, look at the Pfaff Passport - a lot of machine for your money imho. Happy quilting.

Maureen NJ 04-03-2015 03:28 AM

I have a Pfaff Passport as a machine to take to classes. It weighs about 13 pounds. I got it when it first came out (almost 2 years ago) and have had zero problem with it. Love everything about it except that you have to unscrew to clean out bobbin case. I LOVE their 1/4" foot with guide and yes, I love the attached walking foot.

coffeecozy 04-03-2015 03:50 AM

I couldn't figure out why anyone would want a walking foot until I figured out that my idt was what everyone meant. I can't imagine not having it. It is wonderful and I don't have to put some big clunky attachment on, its just there and getting used pretty much all of the time.

GingerK 04-03-2015 03:55 AM

I have a Janome Platinum Jem. Love it! It weighs about 10 lb. and has all the features of my larger Janome and uses the same feet. It also fits into my carry on suitcase!! Following the advice of the sales person, I kept the Styrofoam packaging. I then modified the half that fits over the front of the machine, so that it fit around the pull-handle gear on the inside of the suitcase. Just meant marking and cutting a couple of channels. I also had to trim one end to accomodate the wheel housing. After I finished, I put the Styrofoam into a bag (to keep all those little crumbs from migrating everywhere.) large enough to still let me seat the machine. Click and tighten the straps and my baby doesn't move. I cushion the top with whatever fabric I need for the class. Next week we're taking a 3 hour flight for a retreat!

Sally J 04-03-2015 06:57 AM

I have a friend that has the Pfaff Passport and she loves, loves it. Since you like Pfaff I'd take the time to check out this machine. My friend has other manufactures but says she loves the Passport

Onebyone 04-03-2015 08:40 AM

I have an older Janome Jem Gold, Featherweight, and Singer 301. I take one of them to classes and workshops depending on what type of sewing I will be doing. I would check out the Elna portable machine. I sewed on one and it's a dream.

AliKat 04-03-2015 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ (Post 7151698)
I have a Pfaff Passport as a machine to take to classes. It weighs about 13 pounds. I got it when it first came out (almost 2 years ago) and have had zero problem with it. Love everything about it except that you have to unscrew to clean out bobbin case. I LOVE their 1/4" foot with guide and yes, I love the attached walking foot.

This is what I got also. Got it when they first came out & on introductory sale with extras added and 20% off any Pfaff accessories I buy [bobbins, feet, etc.] It has the dual feed I need to keep sewing.

Jeanne S 04-03-2015 01:41 PM

I have the Babylock Audrey---she is a great little portable machine and only weighs 8 pounds!!!

mom-6 04-03-2015 03:55 PM

My favorite is my featherweight. It is an awesome straight stitch only machine, small, light weight and cute to boot!