Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a machine to take to guild and classes-suggestions >

Need a machine to take to guild and classes-suggestions

Need a machine to take to guild and classes-suggestions

Old 04-03-2015, 12:10 AM

Default Need a machine to take to guild and classes-suggestions

I have a Brother Laura Ashley and I love it. I want a smaller take along machine(my older Elna is getting older and tired). I would like a Pfaff because it has the drop down walking foot. However, the Brother dealership in my area is just a better place to go. Is the pfaff walking foot worth it.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:53 AM

Absolutely! I didn't make friends with my first Pfaff (turned out to be faulty and was replaced) but now I wouldn't have any other brand.

Last year I went to a quilt show with the intention of possibly buying a top of the range Bernina (already had the Pfaff 4.0), but when I discovered I would still have to use a walking foot (at a cost of an extra $160!), I bought a Pfaff Performance 5 instead. Love it.

For a take along, look at the Pfaff Passport - a lot of machine for your money imho. Happy quilting.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:28 AM

I have a Pfaff Passport as a machine to take to classes. It weighs about 13 pounds. I got it when it first came out (almost 2 years ago) and have had zero problem with it. Love everything about it except that you have to unscrew to clean out bobbin case. I LOVE their 1/4" foot with guide and yes, I love the attached walking foot.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 AM

I couldn't figure out why anyone would want a walking foot until I figured out that my idt was what everyone meant. I can't imagine not having it. It is wonderful and I don't have to put some big clunky attachment on, its just there and getting used pretty much all of the time.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:55 AM

I have a Janome Platinum Jem. Love it! It weighs about 10 lb. and has all the features of my larger Janome and uses the same feet. It also fits into my carry on suitcase!! Following the advice of the sales person, I kept the Styrofoam packaging. I then modified the half that fits over the front of the machine, so that it fit around the pull-handle gear on the inside of the suitcase. Just meant marking and cutting a couple of channels. I also had to trim one end to accomodate the wheel housing. After I finished, I put the Styrofoam into a bag (to keep all those little crumbs from migrating everywhere.) large enough to still let me seat the machine. Click and tighten the straps and my baby doesn't move. I cushion the top with whatever fabric I need for the class. Next week we're taking a 3 hour flight for a retreat!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 AM

I have a friend that has the Pfaff Passport and she loves, loves it. Since you like Pfaff I'd take the time to check out this machine. My friend has other manufactures but says she loves the Passport
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I have an older Janome Jem Gold, Featherweight, and Singer 301. I take one of them to classes and workshops depending on what type of sewing I will be doing. I would check out the Elna portable machine. I sewed on one and it's a dream.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I have a Pfaff Passport as a machine to take to classes. It weighs about 13 pounds. I got it when it first came out (almost 2 years ago) and have had zero problem with it. Love everything about it except that you have to unscrew to clean out bobbin case. I LOVE their 1/4" foot with guide and yes, I love the attached walking foot.
This is what I got also. Got it when they first came out & on introductory sale with extras added and 20% off any Pfaff accessories I buy [bobbins, feet, etc.] It has the dual feed I need to keep sewing.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:41 PM

I have the Babylock Audrey---she is a great little portable machine and only weighs 8 pounds!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:55 PM

My favorite is my featherweight. It is an awesome straight stitch only machine, small, light weight and cute to boot!