Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need opinions on color for satin stich on butterfly quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-opinions-color-satin-stich-butterfly-quilt-t25109.html)

Tippy 09-07-2009 03:09 AM

I think I would use thread the same or slightly darker than the wings, unless it's a print, then just pull out a color from the print. You could also use a co-ordinating color on Butterflies you don't have a matching thread for.

daisyboo9 09-07-2009 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I like the idea of a bright contrasting color of stitching. Such as a bright yellow on the red butterfly etc. Like sewjoyce said.

I am of the same school of thought especially for something so bright and cheery, what a beautiful job you have done!

marty_mo 09-07-2009 04:15 AM

Nice quilt ~ since there are so many bright colors, I probably would stick with one color for all the blocks ~ I like the bright shiny blue that is sitting on the pink block in the lower right corner. Whatever you decide it will continue to be a nice quilt.

Bill'sBonBon 09-07-2009 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I always coordinate the color to what I am appliqueing, but, I think if you use the color of the body of the butterfly for the outside and the color of the outside for the body, I think that would look cute. You could try it on a test block to see how you would like it.
Other than that, it's a very cute quilt and I cannot wait to see it finished.

A lot of different ways and I like them all LOL But I am leaning more toward tirnhi's idea. Gonna do a test block and see which looks the best.
[/b]Thank each and everyone of you for the input. This is a wonder site with wonderful people and when your brain just sits there like mine did on the colors I knew You All could get me going.
Thank You
BillsBonBon

nursie76 09-07-2009 01:10 PM

I think I like tirnhi's idea too, for what it's worth. I have been studying the blocks and I really think that would really pull it together. It is so adorable, I can hardly wait to see it finished!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-07-2009 02:08 PM

Beautiful quilt! I say for that quilt the more color you use the better! Make it LOUD! Contrasting colors get my vote.

sewgray 09-07-2009 04:24 PM

I agree with Dizzy, I would use a bright variegated thread.

BellaBoo 09-07-2009 05:07 PM

That's a lot of focal points to have that much contrast. I would pick out a few to have contrasting thread and the rest matching.

Mousie 09-07-2009 05:46 PM

Something I like to do: get some clear vinyl or Glad press n seal, but I think the Glad might not be as easy to see through. Use an dry-erase marker, put the vinyl over your butterfly and use different color markers, to 'audition' your colors.
I like Terri's idea, and I like the idea of variegated too. Satin stitching on butterflies is puuurrrty! :wink:

joeyoz 09-07-2009 06:28 PM

Ditto what sewjoyce said. Different contrasting colors on each butterfly.

What a beautiful, colorful, cheerful quilt.LOVE your butterflies.

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Wow -- beautiful blocks!!! I think it would look neat if every butterfly had a bright, unmatching color -- like pink stitching on the yellow butterfly. It would be in keeping with the other bright colors in the quilt :D

But whatever color(s) you use, I'm sure it will look "just right"!