Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a quick, easy signature quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-quick-easy-signature-quilt-pattern-t65652.html)

sananddandy 09-19-2010 02:51 PM

We are wanting to make a signature quilt for our choir pianist's wedding. Any suggestions for a quick, easy pattern. He has 100+ kids in his youth choir alone plus our adult choir so I need lots of signature areas. Perhaps more than one signature per block. Thanks for your help!!

amma 09-19-2010 02:52 PM

A rail fence pattern? You could put white in the outer strips and use them both for signatures.

ann clare 09-19-2010 02:53 PM

If you go to search on top and type in signature quilt lots should come up.

MegsAnn 09-19-2010 02:58 PM

I'm making a log cabin signature quilt. They'll sign inside the "hearth" block (the middle square) which I'm making a little larger than usual. It's a really quickly strip-pieced design! You could even have the kids sign the logs if you wanted to.

Sadiemae 09-19-2010 02:58 PM

A tube quilt pattern with one section a light color would be fast and simple.

ckcowl 09-19-2010 03:03 PM

the siggy block swap we did we made 3 1/2" siggy block; take a 3 1/2" white square, place a scrappy 2" square on 2 opposite corners, stitch on the diagnol trim corners and press, write on the white centers. i think there are a couple pictures recently of quilts layed out from the swap. easy to do, i think it took me about 45 minutes to make over 100 blocks Not counting cutting time; i took longer to write on them but you have lots of people to do that part :)

pchp 09-19-2010 04:50 PM

How about just alternating white and print blocks? Find some fat quarters of music theme prints to use - mainly blacks, so they would go well with a piano? You can keep the squares small - cut as 3 1/2 inches. Then use a bright inner border of a color he would like. Then use a music theme print as a border.

Jan in VA 09-19-2010 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the siggy block swap we did we made 3 1/2" siggy block; take a 3 1/2" white square, place a scrappy 2" square on 2 opposite corners, stitch on the diagnol trim corners and press, write on the white centers. i think there are a couple pictures recently of quilts layed out from the swap. easy to do, i think it took me about 45 minutes to make over 100 blocks Not counting cutting time; i took longer to write on them but you have lots of people to do that part :)

I was thinking of the same block; I've used it before for a friend's move. Ours used 5" cut squares of light fabric for the signature, and various values of a coral/peach/pink for the corner "snowball" squares ( cut at 3" )

When you cut the corner "snowballing" squares slightly larger than half the the size of one side of the larger signature squares, it create a ribbon effect across the quilt when sewn together. The blocks can be set in "straight furrows", bull's eye, zigzag, all sorts of ways. Enjoy playing with them on a design wall before assembling into rows.

This shows sixteen blocks.

Jan in VA

Holice 09-19-2010 08:11 PM

Have you considered having them sign muslin and use it for the back. I really prefer this to signing on blocks as they often get messed up with the ink while signing or signatures outside the seam lines. Other comments can be written with the larger area. I also believe the quilt is more useful as a decorative piece. Just my preference.

mrs. fitz 09-20-2010 09:06 AM

Both my ideas have been mentioned -- nothing is quicker than a rail fence, and put white on both sides to give you twice the signing space. Small solid squares alternating with print squares would also look nice. Make sure there's a plain border which can take any extra signatures in case you run out of space. Good luck with the gift!