Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Quilt Size Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-quilt-size-please-t188182.html)

stitchengramie 05-06-2012 04:55 AM

Need Quilt Size Please

Hi Everyone,

What size quilt should I make for someone who sleeps on a hospital bed?

Thanks,
stitchengramie

nanna-up-north 05-06-2012 05:03 AM

Aren't hospital beds a little larger than a twin? I think I'd try to make it closer to a full size.
Is there any way you could measure the mattress? Then, I'd make it 10-12" larger?

joyce j 05-06-2012 05:08 AM

I would make it just a little larger than a twin, but not full size.I think that would be to big. the reason I say this is just came home from hospital, an I think it would be on the floor more than the bed. joyce j

An Arm Long 05-06-2012 05:49 AM

A hospital bed is basically a twin but sometimes a bit longer. Also, they go up and down and can be very low to the ground at their lowest level so I would not make the sides too wide. Some patients keep them very low for safety sake (if they are likely to fall out of bed) or for getting in and out more easily.

joyce888 05-06-2012 05:51 AM

If the person knows you're making the quilt then I would ask them their preference. Do they like the quilt tucked in at the bottom, do they like the sides to be longer because of tossing and turning at night? I've made quilts standard size and found them to be too short or too narrower for my taste.

sahm4605 05-06-2012 06:00 AM

I would go a little longer than a twin but the width about the same. Just see the bed for the width because depending on the hospital they can be very narrow or fairly wide.

EvelynJ 05-06-2012 06:05 AM

I concur with the others. If you can take a tape measurer and measure the bed to make sure that would be helpful. If not, you might contact the hospital/nursing home where the person will be staying, someone may know for sure or be able to get the information for you. Good luck.

QuiltE 05-06-2012 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 5197325)
If the person knows you're making the quilt then I would ask them their preference. Do they like the quilt tucked in at the bottom, do they like the sides to be longer because of tossing and turning at night? I've made quilts standard size and found them to be too short or too narrower for my taste.

Ditto ... it'd be best to ask this person and/or their caregiver. There are a lot of variables to be considered that might affect the decisions to making this quilt. To add to Joyce888's comments .....

* safety factor, if the quilt gets caught in the mechanisms or if there's additional medical equipment being used
* is this to be a bedspread? and/or as a bed quilt?
* what works bestfor the caregiver/assistant
* colour and design preferences

You want them to use your quilt ... so get them involved, so it can be used and appreciated.

stitchengramie 05-06-2012 06:18 AM

I was thinking of making the quilt 68 X 86. Do you think this will be big enough?

Dolphyngyrl 05-06-2012 09:16 AM

extra long twin