Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Quilt Size Please

Need Quilt Size Please

Hi Everyone,

What size quilt should I make for someone who sleeps on a hospital bed?

Thanks,
    stitchengramie
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

Aren't hospital beds a little larger than a twin? I think I'd try to make it closer to a full size.
    Is there any way you could measure the mattress? Then, I'd make it 10-12" larger?

I would make it just a little larger than a twin, but not full size.I think that would be to big. the reason I say this is just came home from hospital, an I think it would be on the floor more than the bed. joyce j

A hospital bed is basically a twin but sometimes a bit longer. Also, they go up and down and can be very low to the ground at their lowest level so I would not make the sides too wide. Some patients keep them very low for safety sake (if they are likely to fall out of bed) or for getting in and out more easily.
    Beth in Maryland

Blog Entries
    If the person knows you're making the quilt then I would ask them their preference. Do they like the quilt tucked in at the bottom, do they like the sides to be longer because of tossing and turning at night? I've made quilts standard size and found them to be too short or too narrower for my taste.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I would go a little longer than a twin but the width about the same. Just see the bed for the width because depending on the hospital they can be very narrow or fairly wide.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I concur with the others. If you can take a tape measurer and measure the bed to make sure that would be helpful. If not, you might contact the hospital/nursing home where the person will be staying, someone may know for sure or be able to get the information for you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    If the person knows you're making the quilt then I would ask them their preference. Do they like the quilt tucked in at the bottom, do they like the sides to be longer because of tossing and turning at night? I've made quilts standard size and found them to be too short or too narrower for my taste.
    Ditto ... it'd be best to ask this person and/or their caregiver. There are a lot of variables to be considered that might affect the decisions to making this quilt. To add to Joyce888's comments .....

* safety factor, if the quilt gets caught in the mechanisms or if there's additional medical equipment being used
    * is this to be a bedspread? and/or as a bed quilt?
    * what works bestfor the caregiver/assistant
    * colour and design preferences

You want them to use your quilt ... so get them involved, so it can be used and appreciated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I was thinking of making the quilt 68 X 86. Do you think this will be big enough?
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

extra long twin

Blog Entries
    my hospiital bed takes a twin xtralong size sheet