Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need size of quilt "brick" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-size-quilt-brick-t222819.html)

LavenderBlue 06-02-2013 10:01 AM

Need size of quilt "brick"

What is the TYPICAL size of a quilt brick? I have seen patterns online with varied sizes such as 4" X 7". Isn't 3 1/2" X 6 1/2" the standard? THX for the help. :o

Jan in VA 06-02-2013 10:08 AM

I've been quilting for over 30 years and in my experience the only "standards" in quilting are the 1/4" seam allowance and approximate sizes of batting.

I'd say your brick can be any size that works for *you*.:)

Jan in VA

Boston1954 06-02-2013 10:09 AM

If it looks "bricklike", you can go with it. Whatever size pleases your eyes.

LTeachergeorge 06-02-2013 10:14 AM

I think the size of "bricks" is typically the size of two squares (of whatever size you want -- this would be the width of your brick) sewn together. In other words, double the size of your square and subtract 1/2 inch (to account for the seam). The advantage to doing it this way is that you can stagger the bricks or put squares in between, etc. I have used 3-1/2 inch by 6-1/2 inch bricks several times. I really like that size as it goes fast, but has lots of variety (I did scrap quilts). Good luck with your project!

Linda in Missouri

LTeachergeorge 06-02-2013 10:15 AM

I think the size of "bricks" is typically the size of two squares (of whatever size you want -- this would be the width of your brick) sewn together. In other words, double the size of your square and subtract 1/2 inch (to account for the seam). The advantage to doing it this way is that you can stagger the bricks or put squares in between, etc. I have used 3-1/2 inch by 6-1/2 inch bricks several times. I really like that size as it goes fast, but has lots of variety (I did scrap quilts). Good luck with your project! Linda in Missouri

Linda in Missouri

ckcowl 06-02-2013 10:16 AM

I've had quilt patterns call for bricks of 2 1/2" x 5", 3" x 6 1/2", and 4" x 7"...as long as its rectangular you can make your bricks any size you want- I made one quilt that had big bricks---7" x 11"...there are no 'standard' sized bricks- people call rectangles of fabric 'bricks'.

AlienQuilter 06-02-2013 10:56 AM

I think I saw a tutorial over at Missouri Star Quilt Co., that she took a layer cake and cut it in half and made a brick quilt. That would be a quick on with bricks (unfinished size) being 5" X 10".

I watched the Fons and Porter episode where Liz made a brick quilt. I did not have instructions so I just cut my flannel bricks at 3 1/2" X 6 1/2". It turned out okay. Hardest part was trying not to have two identical bricks touching.

I imagine if you were using 2 1/2" strips you could just make them whatever length you want.

DebraK 06-02-2013 11:29 AM

i agree wholeheartedly with this answer.

fred singer 06-02-2013 11:42 AM

sounds like a great pattern to try

charsuewilson 06-02-2013 01:15 PM

You can make the bricks any size you want. I made a quilt with 6.5 x 18.5" unfinished size bricks. I sorted them into greens/yellows, blues/purples, and browns/blacks/gray. I moved the next row 1/3 of the distance (6" finished)`. And had darker green, lighter green/yellow, darker blue, lighter blue/gray, then brown/black. So my finished quilt was 5 x 18" or a total of 90" wide to be used with overhang on a double bed. I don't remember how long I made it, probably about 98-104".