Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need size of quilt "brick"

Need size of quilt "brick"

What is the TYPICAL size of a quilt brick? I have seen patterns online with varied sizes such as 4" X 7". Isn't 3 1/2" X 6 1/2" the standard? THX for the help.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I've been quilting for over 30 years and in my experience the only "standards" in quilting are the 1/4" seam allowance and approximate sizes of batting.

I'd say your brick can be any size that works for *you*.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

If it looks "bricklike", you can go with it. Whatever size pleases your eyes.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I think the size of "bricks" is typically the size of two squares (of whatever size you want -- this would be the width of your brick) sewn together. In other words, double the size of your square and subtract 1/2 inch (to account for the seam). The advantage to doing it this way is that you can stagger the bricks or put squares in between, etc. I have used 3-1/2 inch by 6-1/2 inch bricks several times. I really like that size as it goes fast, but has lots of variety (I did scrap quilts). Good luck with your project!

Linda in Missouri

I think the size of "bricks" is typically the size of two squares (of whatever size you want -- this would be the width of your brick) sewn together. In other words, double the size of your square and subtract 1/2 inch (to account for the seam). The advantage to doing it this way is that you can stagger the bricks or put squares in between, etc. I have used 3-1/2 inch by 6-1/2 inch bricks several times. I really like that size as it goes fast, but has lots of variety (I did scrap quilts). Good luck with your project! Linda in Missouri

Linda in Missouri

Blog Entries
    I've had quilt patterns call for bricks of 2 1/2" x 5", 3" x 6 1/2", and 4" x 7"...as long as its rectangular you can make your bricks any size you want- I made one quilt that had big bricks---7" x 11"...there are no 'standard' sized bricks- people call rectangles of fabric 'bricks'.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I think I saw a tutorial over at Missouri Star Quilt Co., that she took a layer cake and cut it in half and made a brick quilt. That would be a quick on with bricks (unfinished size) being 5" X 10".

I watched the Fons and Porter episode where Liz made a brick quilt. I did not have instructions so I just cut my flannel bricks at 3 1/2" X 6 1/2". It turned out okay. Hardest part was trying not to have two identical bricks touching.

I imagine if you were using 2 1/2" strips you could just make them whatever length you want.

i agree wholeheartedly with this answer.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

sounds like a great pattern to try
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

You can make the bricks any size you want. I made a quilt with 6.5 x 18.5" unfinished size bricks. I sorted them into greens/yellows, blues/purples, and browns/blacks/gray. I moved the next row 1/3 of the distance (6" finished)`. And had darker green, lighter green/yellow, darker blue, lighter blue/gray, then brown/black. So my finished quilt was 5 x 18" or a total of 90" wide to be used with overhang on a double bed. I don't remember how long I made it, probably about 98-104".

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I've been quilting for over 30 years and in my experience the only "standards" in quilting are the 1/4" seam allowance and approximate sizes of batting.

I'd say your brick can be any size that works for *you*.

Jan in VA
    I totally agree with Jan. It can be any size. Normally the length is usually twice the width. I just finished a Bricks & Blocks that were cut 2.5" x 4.5" for the brick and the blocks was a 2.5" square.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I made 2 and used 4.5" x 6.5". it's up to you as all the others have suggested. I think if it's a big quilt then medium to large bricks are best to be in proportion with the area of the quilt, but a smaller brick size would suit a single bed sized quilt. Just personal opinion.