Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need suggestions for a design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-suggestions-design-wall-t112437.html)

JNCT14 04-01-2011 04:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by pieces
Sounds like a great idea. A design wall is the one thing I don't have room for in my sewing room that I wish I had room for.

Just FYI - I have a VERY small sewing room - only 10 x 12! I maximized everybit of wall space I could to fit everything in and I REALLY wanted a design wall. Here's some pictures of what I did (my dad built the sewing cabinets, gotta love him....)

Design board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178111[/ATTACH]

Design Wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178112[/ATTACH]

Cutting table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178113[/ATTACH]

Ironing board and machines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178114[/ATTACH]

3TreeFrog 04-01-2011 05:15 AM

I believe it's a science project display board, anyway doesn't matter what it's called! I like that idea so much that I am going to go get one today!

I love the creativity of this post and the people on this board!

Thanks!

TreeFrog

blhaines 04-01-2011 05:25 AM

I am going to try using a vinyl rolldown shade for a display wall. My 'thought' is to take a flannel backed table cloth or a piece of thin batting and stick it to the vinyl shade. That way I can roll it up/down as needed. I haven't figured out how I'll 'stick it' yet, but my thought is with some sort of glue.

My sewing room is in a spare bedroom so I am in search of a very wide shade to go across the top of the closet. I'll have my dad build a nice shelf (or whatever) to hide the shade when it's not in use.

Do you think it would work?

grandma anna 04-01-2011 05:29 AM

Sounds like a great idea can't wait to see pics.

JNCT14 04-01-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by blhaines
I am going to try using a vinyl rolldown shade for a display wall. My 'thought' is to take a flannel backed table cloth or a piece of thin batting and stick it to the vinyl shade. That way I can roll it up/down as needed. I haven't figured out how I'll 'stick it' yet, but my thought is with some sort of glue.

My sewing room is in a spare bedroom so I am in search of a very wide shade to go across the top of the closet. I'll have my dad build a nice shelf (or whatever) to hide the shade when it's not in use.

Do you think it would work?

I thought about that one but I was afraid all the pieces of fabric would get crunched or just fall off. Spray glue should work great to stick the batting to the shade.

LAB55 04-01-2011 05:36 AM

I used the box our new flat screen TV came in & covered it with some light fabric ( T- shirt type made in a tube) stretched over it.
I have low ceilings in the upstairs ( was attic space) rooms. ;-)

jane0729 04-01-2011 06:03 AM

I bought a dowel, approximately 3/8 inch in diameter and then hung hooks on the wall. I will rest the dowel in the hook. I then took a black piece of fleece and sewed loops at the top to slide on the dowel. I can hang it when I need it and put it away when I don't.

ksea 04-01-2011 06:46 AM

I think it sounds like a really idea, please let us know what you think of it if you decide to try it.

ksea 04-01-2011 06:46 AM

I think it sounds like a really idea, please let us know what you think of it if you decide to try it.

Evie 04-01-2011 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
While I was at Walmart today, I saw a tri-fold contraption (sorry, words escape me at the moment) board for displaying homework assignments or projects. Does is sound feasible to purchase one of those things, cover with a light solid colored flannel and use it to arrange your blocks? I think most cottons would hang on to the flannel very well. You would be able to fold it up when you are finished and store under a bed. Or lean against a wall to get it out of the way. When you are ready to use it again, your blocks would be ready to continue.

~Tonnie

Tonnie, this is what I use for designing individual blocks and keeping the block pieces together while sewing. I made a flannel "envelope" for it from an old sheet, which launders easily when needed. It sits on a small table next to my sewing machine and, as you noted, can be folded and moved. I like that it was an inexpensive solution to my need.