Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need suggestions for a design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-suggestions-design-wall-t112437.html)

QuiltE 04-01-2011 08:30 AM

I used the spray glue for my design wall, so could no doubt use it for smaller ones too.

I was told I'd need to use pins for anything larger ... as mentioned above, I discovered I didn't. (I'm using polar fleece)

With the leftover pieces of the board, I made some smaller ones, for mini design walls ... to keep pieces in order, as I sew at the machine.

phylby 04-01-2011 08:49 AM

Great idea. I like the portability of it. :thumbup:

whatever 04-01-2011 08:51 AM

I was wondering if it would work too

Deborahlees 04-01-2011 09:08 AM

Any one have any ideas why my old felt worked but the new
purchased didn't.....will buy fleece next time for sure.
However am using the front of my closet with 2-3 foot doors
and held on top with hook velcro that way can take the whole thing down when and if it is ever empty...currently working on a very complex quilt and I don't know what I would have done without my wall to fit my jig-saw pieces of this puzzle together....

dlwillia 04-01-2011 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just made one using 2 felt panels I found at walmart in the blanket area for $5 they are 64x48 and sewed in the middle and hung it from curtain clips from my picture moulding. I works like a charm and easy to take down if needed.

galvestonangel 04-01-2011 10:31 AM

Sounds great, I covered a large bulletin board with white flannel and it works great. I did read somewear that you should not have white because it drains the color. Has anyone else read that? I don't remember what color was suggested.

cctx. 04-01-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by medots
:thumbup:

:):):) :thumbup:

QuiltE 04-01-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
Sounds great, I covered a large bulletin board with white flannel and it works great. I did read somewear that you should not have white because it drains the color. Has anyone else read that? I don't remember what color was suggested.

When I bought flooring a few yrs ago, they had a black card with a window, so you could see the true colour. That influenced my choice of black fleece ... and the fact I figured white would soon look dirty and dingy.

A lint roller takes off the loose threads pretty quick!

JJat2 04-01-2011 10:56 AM

There are many ideas' out there to help with a design wall. Some will sit on a table others like those mentioned are made of styrofoam. The best I found was a toss up between 2. One made of PCV pipe the 1" size which could be made from table top to king size floor but the large floor size just didn't seem that it would work with most homes. The styrofoam one I liked is the one where you go to home depot and buy a special type of building styrofoam. The foam is 1" (which makes it easy for storing). But it has aluminum on one side. Buy one 8' sheet cut it in half. You can put inexpensive hindges on the one side so it folds to put away and opens to the other side that you can put whatever fabric(cotton, canvas) is your choice. There is a tut out there in the vass internet but I didn't save it, I think I found it on a blog. I don't know if this helped but this type of foam helps keep some of that foam that floats away is cut down
JJat2

clynns 04-01-2011 11:25 AM

Yes, good idea. Also useful is when the seasons change you can pick up flannel back oblong tablecloths in the clearance section to use as a design wall. Cheap - couple of dollars, folds up and fits anywhere and being flannel, the fabric sticks to it. Keep those ideas coming.