Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need your advice for college graduation lap quilt gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-advice-college-graduation-lap-quilt-gift-t245639.html)

Sande 04-23-2014 06:07 AM

Need your advice for college graduation lap quilt gift

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I'm making a lap quilt for a graduation gift for a college student and purple is her favorite color. She has a very carefree, fun attitude and she's my son's girlfriend for the last 3 years. She graduates on Memorial Day weekend.

The blocks are done and now I need to add sashing and borders. I thought a white 2" sashing around the blocks would give the quilt a clean fresh look. Then I was thinking of adding a 5" border using the dark purple from the block. Then a 5" border from the green from the block, then 5" border from the purple flower on white from the block. I was thinking about picking up the chocolate brown in the block for the binding.

Do you think I should incorporate orange or some other color in the sashing or borders? What size borders or sashing would you use? This is a lap quilt so I need to add enough to get to the size of a lap quilt. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Sande

DJ 04-23-2014 06:19 AM

What you've done is beautiful. Is there a reason that you don't add another row of blocks around rather than such wide borders? What size are the blocks?

cjsews 04-23-2014 06:25 AM

I like to mix the widths of boarders. Maybe put the green, a narrower 2" purple and then the floral. Then you could use the purple again for the binding.

Billi 04-23-2014 06:29 AM

First your blocks are cute as heck love the color combo you have going.
Like the sashing, you are talking about adding 30 inches of borders that is a lot, can you make more squares instead? If not how about graduating your borders so instead of 3 borders all the same size do 2" 3" 4" and 5"
or 2" 2" 6" 2" 2" I feel like breaking up the border widths will make it more like a design element and less like I'm just trying to make it bigger. Or a 3" plain border then a piano key border at 6" wide then another 3"

All of your fabrics are so awesome any of them will be beautiful.

Mariposa 04-23-2014 06:29 AM

I like the idea of a wide dark purple border--perhaps on the edge. Maybe add in a thin orange/gold/red border after the white sashing, then the green, then purple. Bind with purple/white floral. JMHO....

Doggramma 04-23-2014 09:03 AM

I like the dark purple as the outer edge too. Also I would use the brown or orange as the cornerstones with the white sashing.

Tartan 04-23-2014 09:15 AM

The white sashing and large purple border would be pretty.
How are her washing skills? Most young people don't wash all the often and white can get grungy pretty fast. I might be tempted to sash in the dark purple and dark purple border for that reason.

Annie Pearl 04-23-2014 10:13 AM

If it were me I would add more blocks because I love the look of them, do the white sashing and add a narrow inner border and one 5" border. Of course it is your quilt and what you want is more important than my opinion.

Carrie in PA 04-23-2014 11:22 AM

Is that a disappearing 9 patch? You're fabrics are wonderful! I need more purples. Sorry i'm no help with the borders.

Sande 04-23-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Carrie in PA (Post 6688108)
Is that a disappearing 9 patch? You're fabrics are wonderful! I need more purples. Sorry i'm no help with the borders.

Yes, this is a disappearing 9 patch. Thanks for the comments.