Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your advice for college graduation lap quilt gift >

Need your advice for college graduation lap quilt gift

Need your advice for college graduation lap quilt gift

Old 04-23-2014, 06:07 AM

Default Need your advice for college graduation lap quilt gift

Hi everyone, I'm making a lap quilt for a graduation gift for a college student and purple is her favorite color. She has a very carefree, fun attitude and she's my son's girlfriend for the last 3 years. She graduates on Memorial Day weekend.

The blocks are done and now I need to add sashing and borders. I thought a white 2" sashing around the blocks would give the quilt a clean fresh look. Then I was thinking of adding a 5" border using the dark purple from the block. Then a 5" border from the green from the block, then 5" border from the purple flower on white from the block. I was thinking about picking up the chocolate brown in the block for the binding.

Do you think I should incorporate orange or some other color in the sashing or borders? What size borders or sashing would you use? This is a lap quilt so I need to add enough to get to the size of a lap quilt. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Sande
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 06:19 AM
DJ

What you've done is beautiful. Is there a reason that you don't add another row of blocks around rather than such wide borders? What size are the blocks?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 AM

I like to mix the widths of boarders. Maybe put the green, a narrower 2" purple and then the floral. Then you could use the purple again for the binding.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM

First your blocks are cute as heck love the color combo you have going.
Like the sashing, you are talking about adding 30 inches of borders that is a lot, can you make more squares instead? If not how about graduating your borders so instead of 3 borders all the same size do 2" 3" 4" and 5"
or 2" 2" 6" 2" 2" I feel like breaking up the border widths will make it more like a design element and less like I'm just trying to make it bigger. Or a 3" plain border then a piano key border at 6" wide then another 3"

All of your fabrics are so awesome any of them will be beautiful.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I like the idea of a wide dark purple border--perhaps on the edge. Maybe add in a thin orange/gold/red border after the white sashing, then the green, then purple. Bind with purple/white floral. JMHO....
Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 AM

I like the dark purple as the outer edge too. Also I would use the brown or orange as the cornerstones with the white sashing.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

The white sashing and large purple border would be pretty.
How are her washing skills? Most young people don't wash all the often and white can get grungy pretty fast. I might be tempted to sash in the dark purple and dark purple border for that reason.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 AM

If it were me I would add more blocks because I love the look of them, do the white sashing and add a narrow inner border and one 5" border. Of course it is your quilt and what you want is more important than my opinion.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Is that a disappearing 9 patch? You're fabrics are wonderful! I need more purples. Sorry i'm no help with the borders.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Carrie in PA View Post
Is that a disappearing 9 patch? You're fabrics are wonderful! I need more purples. Sorry i'm no help with the borders.
Yes, this is a disappearing 9 patch. Thanks for the comments.