Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needing a really creative idea! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needing-really-creative-idea-t220727.html)

Helen6869 05-04-2013 06:07 PM

Needing a really creative idea!

I just found out that I am going to be a great-grandma!! yikes! I'n not old enough! haha! But that's what is happening in October. Anyway, I found a package of scraps from my daughter's wedding dress which was hand made in my cedar chest. She will be the grandma. What I am trying to figure out is what I can make for my new little great-grandchild out of those scraps. They are pretty yellowed now but not a bad color to them. They were white satin or some such fabric. I also have some lace that went on the gown. If any of you have ever made anything from wedding dress scraps I would really appreciate your ideas. I don't know the sex of the baby yet so it might not be too appropriate for a boy. Thanks for your input in advance! love this board!!!

StephT 05-04-2013 06:14 PM

even if it was a boy who cares. Your grand daughter will love the quilt. My Aunt's mother made me a nice small quilt with satin fabric and she just did 3" squares.

Can you wash the fabric with oxyclean? or talk to the dry cleaners.

QuiltE 05-04-2013 06:33 PM

What a treasure that would be, to use the fabric from the baby's DGMs wedding gown.

Not knowing how large your scraps are, it's hard to know what you have to work with.
You might have enough, or could add other new fabrics to it.
By chance do you have something from your wedding that could be included?

Some ideas ...
* Christening Gown ... these and add some
* Baby hat, dress for a girl or shirt/pants for a boy.
* wall hanging or framed item ... with baby's name, DOB, time, weight, height, parents etc. machine or hand embroidered or cross stitched in the centre, then use the other fabric around the edge.
* Baby quilt (obvious!)

Nammie to 7 05-04-2013 06:39 PM

There is a neat babychristening bonnet that can be made - the bonnet is then turned into a hankie to be carried at a wedding. It comes with a really neat poem and is appropriate for boy or girl.

QuiltnNan 05-05-2013 04:00 AM

you could make a crazy quilt mixing the satin with other fabrics.

Helen6869 05-05-2013 07:31 AM

Ideas does for quilt from wedding gown scraps

Originally Posted by StephT (Post 6044803)
even if it was a boy who cares. Your grand daughter will love the quilt. My Aunt's mother made me a nice small quilt with satin fabric and she just did 3" squares.

Can you wash the fabric with oxyclean? or talk to the dry cleaners.

Can you wash satin? not sure on that. drycleaners ruined my wedding dress so I don't think I would use them again. I do have my wedding gown and I could cut it up (since it is ruined) and add to that fabric. I would love to do a quilt but not sure since it may not be washable about baby use!! Thanks for the info and help. ps sorry for typo in title

Helen6869 05-05-2013 07:33 AM

Is there a pattern for this?

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6044853)
There is a neat babychristening bonnet that can be made - the bonnet is then turned into a hankie to be carried at a wedding. It comes with a really neat poem and is appropriate for boy or girl.

THat sounds like a great gift. Do you know if there is a pattern or directions for this one? Thanks so much.

Helen6869 05-05-2013 07:35 AM

Washability is first issue to solve I guess.

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6044843)
What a treasure that would be, to use the fabric from the baby's DGMs wedding gown.

Not knowing how large your scraps are, it's hard to know what you have to work with.
You might have enough, or could add other new fabrics to it.
By chance do you have something from your wedding that could be included?

Some ideas ...
* Christening Gown ... these and add some
* Baby hat, dress for a girl or shirt/pants for a boy.
* wall hanging or framed item ... with baby's name, DOB, time, weight, height, parents etc. machine or hand embroidered or cross stitched in the centre, then use the other fabric around the edge.
* Baby quilt (obvious!)

Since I could add pieces from my wedding dress this expands the possibilities. But I guess I just need to wash some of it first and clear that issue up. Thanks for the great suggestions!!

Helen6869 05-05-2013 07:40 AM

Love crazy quilts but I'm not an embroider or hand-stitcher.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6045212)
you could make a crazy quilt mixing the satin with other fabrics.

I could use my sewing machine's fancy stitches I guess to add that touch. I do love crazy quilts. As I think on this, I believe I would designate this as a family heirloom and indicate it should be used by all of my future great-grands! What do you-all think? I knew this board would help me get a plan. Now to get with the program!! Time's-awastin!! But what do I do with the other WIP's I have in progress??? oh dear. Isn't it amazing how life intervenes in our well-laid plans! Have a great day everyone!

kat13 05-05-2013 08:05 AM

Kay wood had cheryl phillips on her show which is free on you tube and she made a wedding ring quilt with lace and
satin and a picture in the center, is just beautiful..its at the end of the episode.
Also someone on this board showed an "angel" quilt that would be perfect!