Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing a really creative idea! >

Needing a really creative idea!

Needing a really creative idea!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helen6869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 479
Smile Needing a really creative idea!

I just found out that I am going to be a great-grandma!! yikes! I'n not old enough! haha! But that's what is happening in October. Anyway, I found a package of scraps from my daughter's wedding dress which was hand made in my cedar chest. She will be the grandma. What I am trying to figure out is what I can make for my new little great-grandchild out of those scraps. They are pretty yellowed now but not a bad color to them. They were white satin or some such fabric. I also have some lace that went on the gown. If any of you have ever made anything from wedding dress scraps I would really appreciate your ideas. I don't know the sex of the baby yet so it might not be too appropriate for a boy. Thanks for your input in advance! love this board!!!
Helen6869 is offline  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 237
Default

even if it was a boy who cares. Your grand daughter will love the quilt. My Aunt's mother made me a nice small quilt with satin fabric and she just did 3" squares.

Can you wash the fabric with oxyclean? or talk to the dry cleaners.
StephT is offline  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM
  #3  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 17,072
Default

What a treasure that would be, to use the fabric from the baby's DGMs wedding gown.

Not knowing how large your scraps are, it's hard to know what you have to work with.
You might have enough, or could add other new fabrics to it.
By chance do you have something from your wedding that could be included?


Some ideas ...
* Christening Gown ... these and add some
* Baby hat, dress for a girl or shirt/pants for a boy.
* wall hanging or framed item ... with baby's name, DOB, time, weight, height, parents etc. machine or hand embroidered or cross stitched in the centre, then use the other fabric around the edge.
* Baby quilt (obvious!)
QuiltE is online now  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 4,961
Default

There is a neat babychristening bonnet that can be made - the bonnet is then turned into a hankie to be carried at a wedding. It comes with a really neat poem and is appropriate for boy or girl.
Nammie to 7 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 AM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
QuiltnNan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
Posts: 51,433
Default

you could make a crazy quilt mixing the satin with other fabrics.
QuiltnNan is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helen6869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 479
Question Ideas does for quilt from wedding gown scraps

Originally Posted by StephT View Post
even if it was a boy who cares. Your grand daughter will love the quilt. My Aunt's mother made me a nice small quilt with satin fabric and she just did 3" squares.

Can you wash the fabric with oxyclean? or talk to the dry cleaners.
Can you wash satin? not sure on that. drycleaners ruined my wedding dress so I don't think I would use them again. I do have my wedding gown and I could cut it up (since it is ruined) and add to that fabric. I would love to do a quilt but not sure since it may not be washable about baby use!! Thanks for the info and help. ps sorry for typo in title

Last edited by Helen6869; 05-05-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
Helen6869 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helen6869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 479
Smile Is there a pattern for this?

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
There is a neat babychristening bonnet that can be made - the bonnet is then turned into a hankie to be carried at a wedding. It comes with a really neat poem and is appropriate for boy or girl.
THat sounds like a great gift. Do you know if there is a pattern or directions for this one? Thanks so much.
Helen6869 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helen6869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 479
Smile Washability is first issue to solve I guess.

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
What a treasure that would be, to use the fabric from the baby's DGMs wedding gown.

Not knowing how large your scraps are, it's hard to know what you have to work with.
You might have enough, or could add other new fabrics to it.
By chance do you have something from your wedding that could be included?


Some ideas ...
* Christening Gown ... these and add some
* Baby hat, dress for a girl or shirt/pants for a boy.
* wall hanging or framed item ... with baby's name, DOB, time, weight, height, parents etc. machine or hand embroidered or cross stitched in the centre, then use the other fabric around the edge.
* Baby quilt (obvious!)
Since I could add pieces from my wedding dress this expands the possibilities. But I guess I just need to wash some of it first and clear that issue up. Thanks for the great suggestions!!
Helen6869 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helen6869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 479
Smile Love crazy quilts but I'm not an embroider or hand-stitcher.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
you could make a crazy quilt mixing the satin with other fabrics.
I could use my sewing machine's fancy stitches I guess to add that touch. I do love crazy quilts. As I think on this, I believe I would designate this as a family heirloom and indicate it should be used by all of my future great-grands! What do you-all think? I knew this board would help me get a plan. Now to get with the program!! Time's-awastin!! But what do I do with the other WIP's I have in progress??? oh dear. Isn't it amazing how life intervenes in our well-laid plans! Have a great day everyone!
Helen6869 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
kat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: tx
Posts: 843
Default

Kay wood had cheryl phillips on her show which is free on you tube and she made a wedding ring quilt with lace and
satin and a picture in the center, is just beautiful..its at the end of the episode.
Also someone on this board showed an "angel" quilt that would be perfect!
kat13 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Alice PD
Links and Resources
12
02-19-2017 12:58 AM
karensue
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
4
04-01-2012 02:42 AM
quiltingnonie
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
8
06-21-2011 05:22 PM
stevendebbie25
Main
9
02-12-2011 11:14 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.