Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing a really creative idea! >

Needing a really creative idea!

Needing a really creative idea!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM

The first baby quilt I got ever was from my mom when I was about 6 months pregnant (i'd lost a pregnancy before this) and it was a pure white, store bought quilt. She said she was giving it to me because she didn't know if she would live to see the baby born (the docs were warning her that her time was limited). White, with or without additional colors, is a perfect choice, especially if the parents want to be "surprised". And it goes perfectly with a
christening ceremony.

I have to admit, I told one daughter, who didn't want to know, that it was, of course, her choice, but she had to know that she wouldn't be getting any baby things from me until the sex was known. She changed her mind. Guess I'd forgotten my mother's gift to me!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 AM

Looks like you got more than enough answers. I agree with you, take a piece of yours and daughters wedding dress material and try washing it, by hand. I can't remember what Martha Pullen uses on the antique dresses and such that she has purchased from all over the world, but she says it has lifted yellow and stains. Maybe if you look at her website you will find an answer. I love what you are going to do and wish you lots of luck, but no matter what it will be something full of love!!! Martha's Sewing Room.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM

I found the little quilt but don't know how to do a link..if you type in the search area "you must see this quilt" it is by harriet. It has angel wings and a halo where you would lay the baby on it....words don't do it justice!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
Since I could add pieces from my wedding dress this expands the possibilities. But I guess I just need to wash some of it first and clear that issue up. Thanks for the great suggestions!!
You're welcome!

Could be even more special if you had something from your DGD too!
Her wedding dress? Her bridesmaids dresses?
Or by chances are there any baby items from the three of you that could be used either whole or cut up?

You could also combine QuiltNNan's crazy quilt idea with the one I gave you for the baby data and put the crazy quilt around it like a mat.

**Another idea** ... copy baby photos of the 3 of you onto fabric, then one of the new baby ... and build a quilt or wall hanging with the four pics. You could have the quilt partly done ... and finish it after baby is born. (buys you some time!)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
Looks like you got more than enough answers. I agree with you, take a piece of yours and daughters wedding dress material and try washing it, by hand. I can't remember what Martha Pullen uses on the antique dresses and such that she has purchased from all over the world, but she says it has lifted yellow and stains. Maybe if you look at her website you will find an answer. I love what you are going to do and wish you lots of luck, but no matter what it will be something full of love!!! Martha's Sewing Room.
I love Martha Pullen's work. Had forgotten about her having a website....miss her show. Thanks! Yep, she is the heirloom queen!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM

How about a christening blannet? It can be passed down for any future little ones too.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by kat13 View Post
I found the little quilt but don't know how to do a link..if you type in the search area "you must see this quilt" it is by harriet. It has angel wings and a halo where you would lay the baby on it....words don't do it justice!
Sorry this didn't pull up a particular quilt. Would love to see the angel quilt. thanks!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
How about a christening blannet? It can be passed down for any future little ones too.
That's perfect! I will do a search for patterns. I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I first have to wash some satin and lace to see if it will hold up. It's about 30 years old and mine is 52years old!! hope it works!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
There is a neat babychristening bonnet that can be made - the bonnet is then turned into a hankie to be carried at a wedding. It comes with a really neat poem and is appropriate for boy or girl.
Here are the directions to make the bonnet from a hankie.mi have made my own hankie from fabric and add lace edging. You could use dress scraps to make the hankie. The poem is also here
http://bumblebeelinens.com/hankiebonnet.php
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Here is a link to the quilt with the wings and halo that someone mentioned. It is stunning.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t209131.html