Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needle to Use With King Tut Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-use-king-tut-thread-t276580.html)

Pudge 03-10-2016 02:05 PM

Needle to Use With King Tut Thread

I'm trying King Tut thread for the first time. The spool recommends a 90/14 topstitching needle. I have a quilting 90/14 needle on hand, no topstitching needles in the larder. Not so happy about the hole size its making, seems too big.

Before I waste time messing around - either dashing off to Joann's or trying a universal 80/12- can folks experienced with this thread tell me if they've been successful substituting a smaller, "non-topstitching" needle using Tut?

quiltingshorttimer 03-10-2016 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pudge (Post 7490311)
I'm trying King Tut thread for the first time. The spool recommends a 90/14 topstitching needle. I have a quilting 90/14 needle on hand, no topstitching needles in the larder. Not so happy about the hole size its making, seems too big.

Before I waste time messing around - either dashing off to Joann's or trying a universal 80/12- can folks experienced with this thread tell me if they've been successful substituting a smaller, "non-topstitching" needle using Tut?

I rarely use it in my DSM as it's rather thick and I quilt on a long arm. On the long arm, I have to use an 18 needle (which is a larger one). I do think you will need that 14 topstitching needle to get the quality of stitch and to prevent shredding with King Tut.

Pudge 03-10-2016 02:25 PM

Yup. I think you're right. This is a variegated 40/3 thread and it's gonna take the 90 size. Wish I hadn't bought it but I lacked options where I'm staying right now. Oh well, let's see what I can learn from this experience....

Nammie to 7 03-10-2016 03:43 PM

Use the 90/14 needle the top of the spool suggests. You won't be happy with the results using a smaller needle. It will stitch fine in one direction but skip stitches and give you lots of problems in another direction.

meyert 03-10-2016 04:01 PM

I love King Tut thread, use it on my Janome 6600 all of the time. Honestly I have no idea about the needle - just used what I have. I have never had trouble with skipped stitches or any trouble. I have used spools and the cones - no problem So glad I tried it

ckcowl 03-10-2016 04:06 PM

I never use top stitch needles. I generally use sharps or universals unless I'm using metallic or other specialty threads. Never had a problem with king tut thread in my 80/12 sharps.
just went back & found you are referring to the heavier verigated thread -- for that the 90/14 is needed, otherwise your thread will fray & break a lot.

playswithcolor 03-10-2016 04:36 PM

I love king tut thread. My Husqv Sapphire does just fine with it. I use the titanium needles that superior threads sells. No problems with skipping.

Pudge 03-10-2016 04:50 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'mean going to stick with the 90/14 needle and use up as much as I can of the thread to quilt a baby quilt. I do not believe I will buy the variegated thread again.

Monika 03-10-2016 05:20 PM

I use King Tut a lot and love it. I use a 90/14 or a 100/16. Once you wash the quilt, the holes close up.

Jim's Gem 03-10-2016 09:23 PM

I use King Tut all the time on my Bernina. I use a Superior Platinum 90/14 top stitch needle and never have problems.