Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Bernina 8 Series. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-bernina-8-series-t17529.html)

Cookn 03-15-2009 01:47 PM

I doubt if you will ever find a bargain NEW 830 but you can find deals in our area right now they are selling for $9999. Yes it's a high price and no it's not worth the price but they are selling. How many of you drive an expensive high line automobile ? If you do do you need it ? No, you don't but you want it. It all depends on where you place your priorities. My Lady and I asked ourselves if we needed to spend $6000 on our current Berninas, no we didn't, but we did and we wouldn't trade for anythings else. Will we spend $10,000 on an 830, we might. It's a very fine sewing machine, sews smoother than any machine I've used and we own Berninas. I like it with the BSR on the quilt frame, really really nice. We're boiled our decision down to either the 830 or a longarm and the longarm does cost more.

BellaBoo 03-15-2009 02:00 PM

I agree with you about priorities. I love quilting but it isn't a top priority for me to sew everyday or even once a week. I sew when the mood strikes and if I was sewing everyday or making quilting my income then the best and the newest machine would be a big want/must have for me. I know I won't compromise on my luxury car but having a very old worn out sofa doesn't bother me at all. :D :D :D :D :D

hokieappmom 03-17-2009 12:29 PM

My dealer told me that since my Bernina 730 is less than a year old, she will give me full retail value to upgrade to the 830. If I upgrade and also get the new Bernina quilt frame (which I ordered last weekend), I get 36 month free financing and my monthly payment would be less than $200. Am I crazy not to do this? If it weren't for the economy, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but my husband may lose his job in the next few months. I do have enough saved that I could pay off Bernina though. Help, my time is running out to make this decision. Thanks for your input!

mamatobugboo 03-17-2009 12:34 PM

i don't think you are crazy to think about it, but if the threat of your husband loosing is job is a real threat, I would hold off. If they are willing to give you a deal now, they should be willing to give you a deal in a few months when you have a better understanding of your husband's job.... :-)

Cookn 03-17-2009 12:46 PM

Is your 730 paid for ? If it is that's not that much of a deal. When I got my 440 in 2006 the 730 was in the high $6,000 range, so you'd be out about $7000 for the upgrade. I can get an 830 with the frame and the frame accessories for $12,500 in the Houston area and that's keeping the 440. What part of NC are you in ? We purchased two machines from A Different Touch in Chesapeake, VA, wonderful to deal with and I wish I was there now because they would give us a great deal.

Knot Sew 03-17-2009 12:53 PM

Quilting is my hobby, I wouldn't pay half that much for a sewing machine. If you see several quuilts on display..no way can you tell what kind of machine was used. I could take 2 or 3 vacations for that price...but each to his own :wink:

sewaholic 03-18-2009 01:12 AM

I've looked and steamed up the windows but they are over $10000.00 here.
Don't think I could sneak one of those in the house :lol: :lol:

hokieappmom 03-18-2009 04:34 AM

The machine alone was $7400 and the software was another $2200. It is paid for. You've got a real deal in Houson then if that includes the quilt frame too. My dealer told me that they can only discount a machine so much, that pricing is stipulated by the Bernina company. I love my 730 and still haven't taken all the classes for it. I've gotten some good feedback and it would not be a good move for me to upgrade really. I love quilting and that is one reason the 830 would be good, for the extra quilting space, but I don't make enough quilts right now to warrant the upgrade. I work full time so I don't get to sew as much as I'd like. Thanks everyone for your input.

Cookn 03-18-2009 05:08 AM

You are so correct, Bernina does control it's market place, which is good and bad. One of the reasons we decided to keep my 440 was because of the software, the trade in allowance that they would offer me was a pittance to what we purchased it for 2 years ago and then they also wanted us to surrender the dongle or they would take another $50.00 off the trade in. Software $2200 versus $50.00 you do the math.

We do like the 830 especially when it's on the frame, it's very smooth and with the BSR it is great. I like the large hoop and the capabilities it offers, I have the Mega Hoop for the 440, but the thoughts of not having to re index it to do large patterns are tempting.

We are going to have a serious conversation with a representative of Bernina at the International Quilt Show in Houston in October concerning their business practices and their loyalty to their customers. After the deal I was offered on a $12,000 sewing machine I really believe that they could care less about their customer base and we plan on discussing that with them. Their answers dictate whether or not we continue to do business with them.

hokieappmom 03-18-2009 05:41 AM

Didn't you mean that the $12,500 was for the 830 and the quilt frame also? My offer was $12,000 for the 830 and $1999 for the quilt frame. I was told the quilt frame would normally run $2199. I guess the machine was at regular price. My 730 software will work with the 830, but I would have to turn in the USB. I have until March 24th to decide about the upgrade and still get full retail for my 730. I've been doing a lot more embroidery lately than quilting, and the large frame would be nice. My dealer said the largest hoop was not included and costs $400. But she said if I got the 830 and frame, she'd throw that hoop in for free. Would you happen to know if you have quilting designs in your sewing machine, and it was on the quilt frame, would it automatically stitch the quilt design with out me having to move it?