Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New cutting table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-cutting-table-t222363.html)

Sarah in Brooklyn 05-27-2013 01:33 PM

New cutting table?

I cut on my dining table which is at the far end of my apartment from where I sew. I'm thinking about redoing the sewing room and getting a table. I need something pretty small and very simple - it doesn't need a lot of storage or anything, just a steady surface. I'd prefer it to be fairly tall - 4 feet? Any ideas. Google is failing me on this one.

Sarah in Brooklyn 05-27-2013 01:39 PM

Oh, and not too expensive!

Tartan 05-27-2013 02:00 PM

You might find something under butcher block/kitchen island/microwave cart? I know some moveable kitchen islands have locking wheels but I have no idea of prices. Check out Ikea?

yel 05-27-2013 02:06 PM

get a couple of 3 shelf bookcases and a door from the home center ..storage and cutting top..

AliKat 05-27-2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6088554)
You might find something under butcher block/kitchen island/microwave cart? I know some moveable kitchen islands have locking wheels but I have no idea of prices. Check out Ikea?

This is what I have and it does have the locking wheels. I bought it at a local expanded grocery store. I love it. It also folds up for when not in use and is then only about 5" wide. However, I don't really ever fold it up anymore. I put baskets on the shelves to hold my projects.

nhweaver 05-27-2013 03:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I use an old desk from the thrift store, up on bed risers. With a piece of plywood cut bigger than my mat for the top. Here is a picture. I have an old dresser underneath. works well for me, when I get the bed out of the room, I will increase the plywood and get the largest mat. Here are a couple of pics.

Sarah in Brooklyn 05-27-2013 03:53 PM

Just my luck - the Ikea website is crashed! Just when I want to shop!

Sarah in Brooklyn 05-27-2013 03:53 PM

That's nice!

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 6088710)
I use an old desk from the thrift store, up on bed risers. With a piece of plywood cut bigger than my mat for the top. Here is a picture. I have an old dresser underneath. works well for me, when I get the bed out of the room, I will increase the plywood and get the largest mat. Here are a couple of pics.

adamae 05-27-2013 03:59 PM

I use 3/4" thick plywood (4' X 8') cut in half the long way making it 2' X 8" and place it on various items. I have two Sauder tables that I use and then behind the sofa in den I stack tubs in sets of two, each set spaced at appropriate distance, place a 2X8 plywood on them and cover with fabric and clear plastic for a work surface to set together puzzles or place a sewing machine or whatever. BTW, the tubs hold fabric or quilt projects, batting. I am a believer in using what you have, when possible.

DonnaR 05-27-2013 04:02 PM

I used a 50% off coupon at Joanns and got the table that has leaves that will fold up or down as needed.