Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New cutting table?

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar

New cutting table?

I cut on my dining table which is at the far end of my apartment from where I sew. I'm thinking about redoing the sewing room and getting a table. I need something pretty small and very simple - it doesn't need a lot of storage or anything, just a steady surface. I'd prefer it to be fairly tall - 4 feet? Any ideas. Google is failing me on this one.

Oh, and not too expensive!

Power Poster
    You might find something under butcher block/kitchen island/microwave cart? I know some moveable kitchen islands have locking wheels but I have no idea of prices. Check out Ikea?

yel
    Blog Entries
    get a couple of 3 shelf bookcases and a door from the home center ..storage and cutting top..

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    You might find something under butcher block/kitchen island/microwave cart? I know some moveable kitchen islands have locking wheels but I have no idea of prices. Check out Ikea?
    This is what I have and it does have the locking wheels. I bought it at a local expanded grocery store. I love it. It also folds up for when not in use and is then only about 5" wide. However, I don't really ever fold it up anymore. I put baskets on the shelves to hold my projects.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    I use an old desk from the thrift store, up on bed risers. With a piece of plywood cut bigger than my mat for the top. Here is a picture. I have an old dresser underneath. works well for me, when I get the bed out of the room, I will increase the plywood and get the largest mat. Here are a couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by nhweaver; 05-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Just my luck - the Ikea website is crashed! Just when I want to shop!

That's nice!

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    I use an old desk from the thrift store, up on bed risers. With a piece of plywood cut bigger than my mat for the top. Here is a picture. I have an old dresser underneath. works well for me, when I get the bed out of the room, I will increase the plywood and get the largest mat. Here are a couple of pics.

I use 3/4" thick plywood (4' X 8') cut in half the long way making it 2' X 8" and place it on various items. I have two Sauder tables that I use and then behind the sofa in den I stack tubs in sets of two, each set spaced at appropriate distance, place a 2X8 plywood on them and cover with fabric and clear plastic for a work surface to set together puzzles or place a sewing machine or whatever. BTW, the tubs hold fabric or quilt projects, batting. I am a believer in using what you have, when possible.

I used a 50% off coupon at Joanns and got the table that has leaves that will fold up or down as needed.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

I use the island in my kitchen - It always has fabric and a cutting mat on it. Have to move it all when I want to bake! It isn't far from my sewing room so it works for me.

Blog Entries
    You might check out Wal-Mart web site. They have several different kinds of tables that will work. Happy shopping!!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Or look for a cheap pub height dining table. That's what I use.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I use an old dresser that I put wheels on, then a piece of particle board cut 2ft by 5ft and covered with batting and that teflon fabric like ironing board covers are made of. I iron and cut on this, just pop my cutting mat on it when I need to cut. I put some nails in it to hang my mats and rulers on. And, it makes great fabric storage!

I have two tables in my sewing room, both are old drop leaf dining tables I bought at a thrift store. I keep the extended open but if the is limited space you could just open when needed.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

I've been on a search for various cutting tables for the past few months - if you're familiar with the Flickr website, there's a group on there that focuses on craft or sewing rooms - I got several good ideas from the pictures that folks had downloaded of their sewing rooms - Lots of people using items from Ikea!

As for my current room situation, I found a local home improvement warehouse (Hoods in Foley, AL) that had an in-stock kitchen cabinet (two drawers, two doors); my husband added a countertop and it was a good height to use for a cutting table! When I get moved into my new sewing room, I'll post a picture of it to show you how nice it turned out!

My cutting table is a full length mirror that converts into a cutting table. I have pictures if you are interested. But I also made a large ironing board using a half sheet of ply wood and it is fitted (using 1 x1 in boards) to my ironing board, so when not in use it slides next to the TV in my sewing room. I have used it quite a few times to cut on - just put my cutting mat on to of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    I cut on my dining table which is at the far end of my apartment from where I sew. I'm thinking about redoing the sewing room and getting a table. I need something pretty small and very simple - it doesn't need a lot of storage or anything, just a steady surface. I'd prefer it to be fairly tall - 4 feet? Any ideas. Google is failing me on this one.
    I bought as 6' by about 30" folding table from Sam's a few years back. $44 but I've seen the same thing cheaper since then
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I LOVE this... very slick idea! I like the ironing mat on the slide out drawer. Very effective use of a cast off item, and very efficient use of limited space!

I'm going to start looking around. Sadly, thrift stores here in NYC are not cheap at all. But I'll try Craigslist, and a little ingenuity. You all have great ideas!

I just use my glass topped dining table to cut large pieces of fabrics and to sandwich my quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Just was looking at www.sewmanyways.blogspot for her Tuesday idea and she is showing a table her daughter brought home from university. She said she got it at Ikea but doesn't say when. It is probably too light for a sewing table but it looks like she has her cutting mats on it AND it has another fold out leaf. Looks like a super piece that stores small but has a good surface area when open. I am going to look for it myself at Ikea and I hope it is still available!!

I purchased the table at JoAnn's with a coupon. I love it....two ends fold down and it is on wheels. Simple to put together. Definitely use a coupon...

You can always look at an unfinished furniture shop for a wooden kitchen cart/island--heavy, durable, beautiful. These would be at counter height, which makes cutting much more comfortable than bending over a table.

I found a used table on Craigslist - it's not as high as what I use now but I think it'll do. We shall see!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast