Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New High (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-high-t308172.html)

Cam's gram 11-21-2019 09:52 AM

New High

In the past week, I been in two different LQS, a hundred miles apart and the newest fabrics are $14.49 per yard. it also seemed like some of the thread, Aurfil, took a jump too. This is the first time I really noticed a price jump but I think it was because it was such a big one not in small increments. Anyone else notice this?

anonymous 11-21-2019 10:07 AM

No, I've not seen fabric that high yet. I shop clearance sales. Plenty of fabrics to choose from that were yesterday's new fabrics. Time to use my large stash. If this is due to trade wars I have enough to survive for a long, long time.

Iceblossom 11-21-2019 10:07 AM

Without getting all political, tariffs and transportation costs hits fabric hard.

Cam's gram 11-21-2019 10:15 AM

Iceblossom, that is what we decided.

toverly 11-21-2019 10:34 AM

Yes, I've noticed. I always head to the new fabric area first in my LQS. Yikes, the prices are going up. It makes me want to purchase just one or two specialty fabrics out of a line and use blenders for the rest.

Kelsie 11-21-2019 10:52 AM

We are snowbirds. When I went home to Vancouver Island last year the fabric that I had bought in the summer was now $35.00 (cdn) a metre. I had paid somewhere between $20. and $24. I can't remember but it was to finish a particular quilt. A metre is 3" longer than a yard. The exchange rate at that time was about 1/3 so still comes to almost $24.00 (us). I have stopped buying fabric. I don't want to qualify for S.A.B.L.E. The group I quilt with in Canada has had 2 members pass away in the last year. What a lot of work they have left behind for someone to deal with. Our group put it all up for sale for the one family and Ohhhh, I did buy a bit a fabric at that sale and a whole bunch of thread.

SuziSew 11-21-2019 11:39 AM

I get e-mails/newsletters from lots of different companies and just today noticed a big jump in prices on a couple but haven't noticed changes in my LQS...at least not yet. :eek:

SusieQOH 11-21-2019 12:46 PM

I haven't been in a quilt shop since our last vacation. I buy most of my fabrics online and haven't seen them that high. At least not the shops I frequent.
I just thought of something though- I am a pre-cuts junkie! So I probably spend a lot per yard. I try to buy sales but still....... I don't care though. I love them.

Peckish 11-21-2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8330386)
Without getting all political, tariffs and transportation costs hits fabric hard.

Costs are going up across the board, not just for fabric. Rising minimum wages are hitting my state hard. Eating out costs at least twice what it did 5-6 years ago, and I can't fill my grocery cart for less than $200 anymore.

SewingSenior 11-21-2019 04:10 PM

I'm semi-retired and can't afford to shop at any of the local quilt shops. I know the fabrics they sale may be of a higher quality than the fabric I buy but I figure the quilts I make will out last me and that's really all I'm concerned about.