Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New machine for classes and workshops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-machine-classes-workshops-t249908.html)

CarolinePaj 07-11-2014 07:30 AM

You go girl!!!!

Hugs

Caroline

Knitette 07-11-2014 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK (Post 6795716)
Knitette I got the machine from my favourite supplier, not that far from you, David Drummond in Edinburgh. Although I live in North Wales now I have always bought my machines from him because of his brilliant service and personal customer card and he is the ONLY one that I send my machines to be serviced as he does them properly. Hows the weather one of my favourite cities? I so miss Scotland.

That man could sell snow to Eskimoes, lol. I'm about three hours away. Weather is great just now. Long nay it last!

romanojg 07-14-2014 06:04 AM

You sound just like me. I do nothing besides work and watch my grandkids and quilt, emb so I have the Viking Diamond Deluxe and once I got it paid off I got the Ovation Serger by Brother. No finance charges and classes. I gave my daughter my Kenmore/Janome machine that I used to take to class so when my Serger is paid off I'll get me a lightweight to take to classes. Doesn't sound crazy to me at all. You have to enjoy life and some of us just do it in a different way. When my daughter said something to me I told her the same thing when her father used to complain if I bought anything. I don't drink or smoke (they both do) so at least what I spend my money on is not only healthy for me, not damaging my lungs or liver but it'll be here way after all thier booze and cigs are gone. I have something that I can enjoy and it doesn't disappear because it was consummed.

AnnieSue 07-14-2014 08:04 AM

I LOVE my tiny little class machine. I bought it classes, but now I take it everywhere. It will fit in the overhead bin on an airplane!

Raggiemom 07-14-2014 10:02 AM

Having a small light machine to take to classes is wonderful. My husband bought me the Janome AQS a few years exactly for that purpose. We have a group that meets at church every week to make quilts for charity and that's the one I haul there each week. However, it doesn't have a thread cutter!

cmputerdazed 07-14-2014 09:43 PM

Are machines different in the UK than the US? I could not find txl 607.

Knitette 07-14-2014 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by cmputerdazed (Post 6801686)
Are machines different in the UK than the US? I could not find txl 607.

Yes - although the models are often identical, they sometimes have a different name. We also don't have the same amount of model choice (smaller market).

Pfaff and Bernina are the same as they're European, but the Japanese companies - Janome, Brother etc. are different :)

patricej 07-15-2014 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK (Post 6795184)
I know it sounds so flagrantly expensive to non quilters but I thought I needed a new machine for taking out to classes etc. so I treated myself to a new Janome txl607 ...

i am convinced that your purchase was not self-indulgent or extravagant.
it was a very practical and cost-effective decision.

i had been carting my MC 8900 around with me because i thought it would be foolish to plunk down some additional hundreds just to have a smaller, lighter machine for sewing away from home.
that changed when i tripped carrying it back into the house several months ago.

the machine landed on the [concrete] floor, and i landed on the machine.
luckily, it survived without a scratch and it still works like it just came out of the box.
i, on the other hand, cracked my sternum and was in a lot of pain for several weeks.
so ... that forced me to think.

if not for dumb luck and the fact that the machine is so well made, i could have had to junk and replace a machine that costs thousands of dollars.
i'd much rather risk having that happen to a machine that costs hundreds.

so i, too, now have a travel machine. :)
i spent the extra $$$ on one that had all the features i do not want to live without.
which means i have a travel machine i enjoy using and am not afraid to haul around, hither and yon.
and my other baby can stay safe, at home. :)

cmputerdazed 07-15-2014 06:01 AM

Patrice, what model did you get.

QultingaddictUK 07-15-2014 07:50 AM

Just an added point, worth remembering. I took my new machine to a class on Monday and put it in a sewing machine trolley which I have but forgot that I to lift in and out of the car, boy did I hurt. Due to a health problem I get in terrible pain when lifting anything heavier than 8 - 10 lbs and the trolley weighed more than that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow when I go to my other group I am going to carry the machine, with it's cover on and put my other bits n pieces in a shopping trolley that I have in the hope that works better for me. Oh the joys of getting older :(