Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New machine for classes and workshops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-machine-classes-workshops-t249908.html)

QultingaddictUK 07-10-2014 05:10 PM

New machine for classes and workshops

I know it sounds so flagrantly expensive to non quilters but I thought I needed a new machine for taking out to classes etc. so I treated myself to a new Janome txl607 http://janome.co.uk/janome_products/model-txl607/ and I couldn't be more pleased. At 6.5kgs it is within my carrying capacity which my older machine wasn't and it has all the nice little extras that I have on my Elna 730 and miss so much when giving a workshop, you know the needle threader that works, up n down switch, thread cutter etc; etc. all my quilting friends agree that it's money well spent, non quilters look at me as if I gone off my head. I got a good deal, split payments with no interest and the extension popped in for free, I don't drink, smoke, go out to pubs or restaurants, don't even have a toy boy :) so what else should I spend my money on, other than fabric?

janRN 07-10-2014 05:13 PM

No need to justify your purchase to fellow quilters, AKA enablers LOL. Enjoy your new machine.

decky 07-10-2014 05:19 PM

Good for you for getting what you wanted. I bought an expensive machine a few years ago and my husband would tell people HOW much money I spent on it. So I started telling people that we had to build a new house with a 3 car garage so he could by a boat, motor and trailer and then he had to get a big car to haul it to the river. He no longer talks about my machine!!!

Jeanne S 07-10-2014 06:55 PM

Good for you!!!!!!

Doggramma 07-10-2014 07:09 PM

Another good for you! I'm planning on getting more machines if I move into the basement (haha!). Good to know too about your new machine. Machines have been furnished in the classes I've taken the last few years, so I haven't had to think much about what to get yet.

stella63 07-10-2014 10:59 PM

I bought the same machine for class just before xmas and I love it. In fact I use her more than my 4 year old Bernina 830 (the diva) I just thought I haven't got a name for the 607 .... I'll have to think on that one.

Knitette 07-10-2014 11:22 PM

I just sold mine, lol! It was my class machine too, but I had an opportunity to buy a used Pfaff QE4. I've been totally spoilt with the presser foot auto-pivot and lift feature which I use constantly. I leave the Pfaff at class - it's great having a machine with the same type of bobbins, feet, etc.

I loved my little Janome from the minute it came out the box and thoroughly recommend it! :)

QultingaddictUK 07-11-2014 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 6795478)
I loved my little Janome from the minute it came out the box and thoroughly recommend it! :)

Thank you all for your encouragement and I love the comment about the husband who told about the money spent on your machine and then omitted to tell about the cost of his man toys, typical :)

Knitette I got the machine from my favourite supplier, not that far from you, David Drummond in Edinburgh. Although I live in North Wales now I have always bought my machines from him because of his brilliant service and personal customer card and he is the ONLY one that I send my machines to be serviced as he does them properly. Hows the weather one of my favourite cities? I so miss Scotland.

mckwilter 07-11-2014 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by decky (Post 6795201)
Good for you for getting what you wanted. I bought an expensive machine a few years ago and my husband would tell people HOW much money I spent on it. So I started telling people that we had to build a new house with a 3 car garage so he could by a boat, motor and trailer and then he had to get a big car to haul it to the river. He no longer talks about my machine!!!

Good for you. When I started looking for a new machine (my Singer was 30+ years old), I decided on the Bernina Aurora 440QE. When I told my DH it was $3,000, he stopped, took a deep breath, and said that as many guitars as he had bought over the years we've been married, I never said a negative word, so he couldn't complain if the machine was ONLY $3,000. Just one of the many reasons I love the man!

As for having more than one machine, I own 14 (and two sergers). And 7 of them are "take to class" machines. Six of them are Featherweights and I rotate using them. They go to classes where only a straight stitch is required. The seventh has bells and whistles, if the class calls for extras. And I always take two machines to classes, workshops and retreats. You never know when a machine may break down, so better to be safe than sorry.

canmitch1971 07-11-2014 07:10 AM

Quilting addict....I am cursing you right now. I have a Janome Platinum Gem which I adore but I would absolutely love a Janome about the same size with an automatic thread cutter etc. Now you have put this idea in my head Grrrrrr I didn't know there was one that small with a cutter..