Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   new to me sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-me-sewing-machines-t123059.html)

stichinluvr 05-14-2011 02:27 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I just had to share what I got today. I went to an estate auction that advertised sewing machines. I got this treadle for $35. It needs major cleaning. It was in the garage sitting on a greasy floor. The machine has scratches from where there was a pin cushion around the arm. There were 4 bobbins and a few other accessories. I'm not sure where to find the model on this machine. The other machine says 319W on the front and I got it for $5. I also bought a cabinet for it for $10. I have no idea how to start cleaning them so all information is Very welcome. It will take a bit to get all the pictures uploaded.

Franklin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196988[/ATTACH]

QuiltE 05-14-2011 02:31 PM

You've done well today!

Your treadle cabinet is going to be one beautiful piece of furniture when you get it back to life!

Jazzmyn 05-14-2011 02:34 PM

Love that Treadle lovely cabinet.....I have NO idea how to tell you how to clean any of them...just needed to comment on the Treadle.

frauhahn 05-14-2011 02:44 PM

I would start buy cleaning it with Murphy's oil soap, then rubbing with with denatured alcohol using a steel wool pad.
That should dissolve the old varnish. After that, if you could apply Howard's orange feed 'n' wax. Then you just have to let that sit for 20 minutes, and finally buff with a clean flannel cloth. Should be all it needs.

QuiltE 05-14-2011 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
I would start buy cleaning it with Murphy's oil soap, then rubbing with with denatured alcohol using a steel wool pad.
That should dissolve the old varnish. After that, if you could apply Howard's orange feed 'n' wax. Then you just have to let that sit for 20 minutes, and finally buff with a clean flannel cloth. Should be all it needs.

I'll second that. A lot of my furniture has been cleaned/refinished solely via Murphy's!!

FrauHahn ... what does the denatured alcohol do? clean off any Murphy's residue? or what? And where do you get that? hardware store? Thanks!

stichinluvr 05-14-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by frauhahn

Thank you SO much! I am anxious to get started. I can't wait to see her sparkling again. My grandmother had one so her name will have to be Sophia after her. She quilted many quilts and I have several. The cabinet wasn't this elegant, if I remember hers correctly.

emmah 05-14-2011 03:34 PM

Under tutorials do a search for vintage sewing machines. Billy "lostin51" did four tutorials on cleaning and refurbishing vintage machines, and has a whole list of products that won't harm the machines.
You got very good deals. Fun and challenging.

wolph33 05-14-2011 03:51 PM

great finds

craftybear 05-14-2011 03:56 PM

Congratulations!

dreamer2009 05-14-2011 03:57 PM

contact Billy
on the board here...Lostn51
will be able to answer your questions.