Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New method of free-motion quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-method-free-motion-quilting-t41694.html)

Rachelcb80 04-04-2010 06:38 PM

I've actually seen a sewing table that has the machine sitting in it like you just described, turned 90 degrees. I say if it works for you, go for it!

nursie76 04-04-2010 07:00 PM

I just tried a handi-quilter at the quilt show that was mounted in a sit down table just as you described. I also tried out a Flynn frame and now am the proud owner of one. I found it worked well for me. You are supposed to be able to purchase relatively cheaply, conduit at the hardware store to extend the frame to use for up to a queen quilt. I can hardly wait to get it set up and try it here at home.

I do like your idea however, how clever.

zz-pd 04-04-2010 09:21 PM

when I start quilting bigger quilts, I will have to try it out, I have a 9 inch throat on mine. Penny

newbie1001 04-05-2010 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I've actually seen a sewing table that has the machine sitting in it like you just described, turned 90 degrees. I say if it works for you, go for it!

I just had my husband make a cutout for my machine in my big sewing table. If this 90 degree turn turns out to be the solution for me, he'll have to make a second one!

watterstide 04-05-2010 02:56 AM

i can't do that with my machine inside my sewing table.the cut out is not long or wide enough to turn the machine.
but my juki on the frame is that way, so i think it would be a great idea.

Tippy 04-05-2010 03:10 AM

Most excellent idea.. to turn the machine.. bravo!!

hawghugger 04-05-2010 04:24 AM

Great idea. I have the flynn frame and I love it. I now have extensions for the frame to go up to a king size. With my extra conduit I can quilt all sizes now. It makes quilting fun and I always look forward to my next quilting job.

nursie76 04-05-2010 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by hawghugger
Great idea. I have the flynn frame and I love it. I now have extensions for the frame to go up to a king size. With my extra conduit I can quilt all sizes now. It makes quilting fun and I always look forward to my next quilting job.

I am glad to hear that you like your Flynn frame. What is the largest you have quilted so far? I can hardly wait to get mine set up so I can try it out. My hubby just got 2 huge wooden library tables that work was throwing away, and I think those with the Flynn would be a great set up. Would love to hear more about your experiences with the Flynn frame as you explore all the possibilities.

GrammaNancy 04-05-2010 05:07 AM

What a great idea...I also have a Janome 2010 and have been trying to free motion quilt. Nancy

peabee 04-05-2010 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76

Originally Posted by hawghugger

I am glad to hear that you like your Flynn frame. What is the largest you have quilted so far? I can hardly wait to get mine set up so I can try it out. My hubby just got 2 huge wooden library tables that work was throwing away, and I think those with the Flynn would be a great set up. Would love to hear more about your experiences with the Flynn frame as you explore all the possibilities.

i would like to hear more, also.