Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New method for fusing applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-method-fusing-applique-t153441.html)

TanyaL 09-16-2011 12:13 PM

I am thinking of trying a spray glue to apply my applique instead of a fusible web. I think this would work exactly like the process for hooping interfacings, etc for embroidering. I am going to be machine stitching the applique and definitely do not want any of the layers in the applique to shift so I am planing on using Super 77 spray glue. I know it works on fabric, doesn't seem to gum up my needle. What experience has anyone had with spray adhesives instead of fusible webs? Is the adhesion as strong?

mpspeedy 09-16-2011 12:17 PM

I think the only problem you might have is unless you statin stitch around the raw edge of the applique it may fray when laundered. That is one advantage of fusiable, at least for me.

jljack 09-16-2011 12:18 PM

You only need adhesion to the point of completing the applique. I think the spray would probably work fine. For some really small pieces I have used a small dab of glue rather than fusible to hold it down while I machine stitch around it.

raedar63 09-16-2011 12:41 PM

Sounds like a fabulous idea ,although I am just now venturing into applique.

LyndaOH 09-16-2011 01:16 PM

Would you use a spray like 505 or something stickier?

I never thought of doing that, but I seem to remember a Fons & Porter episode where one of their guests used spray adhesive to hold fabric in place while doing foundation piecing. As I recall (and I'm getting old so my memory isn't great!) they had a little box that they did the spraying in so it wouldn't get on everything else.

If it works well, it would be a big money saver, too.

TanyaL 09-16-2011 01:19 PM

I do plan on satin stitching all around the edges. I think I will completely stitch all the inside stitching on the different layers before I apply the applique and only stitch the outline stitch on the quilt itself. I haven't decided if I a m going to use blocks or a whole quilt approach. I thought I would use Super 77 adhesive.

jaciqltznok 09-16-2011 01:47 PM

you won't be happy. That glue is NOT made for fabric. It will be gummy and will turn stiff and yellow over time.
Just cut a bit of fusible and save yourself the heart ache of using a product that is not meant for this application! OR even use a washable glue stick dab in the middle.

kiffie2413 09-16-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
you won't be happy. That glue is NOT made for fabric. It will be gummy and will turn stiff and yellow over time.
Just cut a bit of fusible and save yourself the heart ache of using a product that is not meant for this application! OR even use a washable glue stick dab in the middle.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Agree, glue stick is great idea...

TanyaL 09-16-2011 02:04 PM

I'm confused. the can definitely states it is for fabric and since it will be between layers of fabric how will a person know if it turns yellow or not? I definitely need the whole piece of applique glued down just as it would be with a fusible web.

susie-susie-susie 09-16-2011 02:09 PM

I found some glue sticks in the scrapbook supplies. It did not say if it was water soluable, so I called the company--Scotch. I was told that ALL of their glue sticks are water soluable--good to know. Also the fusable is permanent, so when you sew around it the edges are already fused. I don't think I would be happy with spray on glue unless the edges are satin stitched. I also want the center of the applique to be flat, and it wouldn't be after the quilt is washed. I don't like the "bubble" effect.
Sue