Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New...need input on layout/colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-need-input-layout-colors-t114121.html)

cjomomma 04-06-2011 06:57 PM

I think it's great as is.

scowlkat 04-06-2011 07:13 PM

I agree with Scissor Queen and cjomomma, it looks wonderful like it is without sashing. I like the chain effect that is produced and since the green color is in both blocks, it ties together great!

Jim's Gem 04-06-2011 07:14 PM

Looks great!

MTS 04-06-2011 07:18 PM

You've got a boo-boo in the middle pieced square - right column . One of those 4 patch blocks needs to be rotated once and then the block will be correct.

That could be why it looks a bit off to you as the eye can't follow the chain pattern. ;) ;)

I'm thinking I kinda like it. You've got all kinds of interesting secondary patterns going on, from the chain blocks and from the checkerboard light/dark.

I don't think sashing would add anything positive. :mrgreen:

Can you lay out all 12 blocks for us to see? The symmetry would also show up better that way.

0tis 04-06-2011 07:24 PM

I love it - but I am partial to the color green - but that is going to be a beautiful quilt.

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Looks good to me. I love the sashing idea.

I'm with Patti!

cawsings 04-06-2011 07:37 PM

Yikes! Thanks to those of you for pointing that mistake out...not looking forward to fixing it (or looking through the others to see if there are more). I will try to post a picture of the 12 I have finished tomorrow evening. I still have 13 more before the top is complete. I don't think the x pattern will be lost with sashing if I put the green (or even tan) at each intersection like the example in the link.

nlgh 04-06-2011 07:38 PM

If you want to keep the chain going, as suggested above, the center block on the right need correcting (rotating the 4 patch) to achieve that. I like your colors. I would pull a darker color, maybe a brown that is darker than the star background, or a darker green that goes with your greens. If you sash each block, maybe brown (the color of the star background) around the block with the 4 patch squares, and a green around the start block, then you would need a 4 patch cornerstone. That would be very pretty as well as a single color for sashing.

In all that, I forgot to say, keep up the good work. Your quilt will be pretty whatever you decide.

Scissor Queen 04-06-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by cawsings
Yikes! Thanks to those of you for pointing that mistake out...not looking forward to fixing it (or looking through the others to see if there are more). I will try to post a picture of the 12 I have finished tomorrow evening. I still have 13 more before the top is complete. I don't think the x pattern will be lost with sashing if I put the green (or even tan) at each intersection like the example in the link.

<leans close and squints> Oh, I see the sashing you're talking about now. Match which ever background looks best and use a green cornerstone to match the x pattern.

AUQuilter 04-06-2011 08:17 PM

I really like it the way you have it.