Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New quilt for a gift--to wash or not to wash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilt-gift-wash-not-wash-t171713.html)

auntpiggylpn 12-11-2011 09:20 PM

I always pre wash my fabrics and I wash the quilts before giving them away. It helps hide my imperfect hand stitches where I stitched the back of the binding on! If the quilt comes out really wrinkled, I will run a steam iron over it.

QM 12-11-2011 09:25 PM

I prewash fabrics but don't generally wash the quilts. I do include washing instructions. The bottom line is that it is your call.

BETTY62 12-11-2011 09:35 PM

I wash mine with a color catcher before I give it to someone in case the colors run or a sean comes unsewed.

jaciqltznok 12-11-2011 09:48 PM

wash it, dryer till damp, then spread it out to block it, then fold it and place in carry bag made of muslin usually and a care label on the bag and made by label on the quilt! PS, you are also supposed to sleep under a new quilt before you give it away..it fills it with love! Just sayin!

auntpiggylpn 12-11-2011 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 4774037)
wash it, dryer till damp, then spread it out to block it, then fold it and place in carry bag made of muslin usually and a care label on the bag and made by label on the quilt! PS, you are also supposed to sleep under a new quilt before you give it away..it fills it with love! Just sayin!

Never heard that before, thanks for sharing. Of course, if I slept under any quilt I was giving away, I would have to wash it as I have 4 kitties that take up most of the king bed!

Juliebelle 12-12-2011 04:27 AM

I always wash before giving, that way I can check everything and fix any tiny mistakes that might show up.

CorgiNole 12-12-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4772388)
I always wash quilts before I give them away. That way somebody doesn't think they've ruined the quilt when it comes out of the dryer looking different than it did when they put it in the washer.

This is exactly why I wash mine before gifting them. I don't want the recipient to ever feel like they ruined it when it comes out looking different from when it went in. The only exception would be for a wall hanging.

Cheers, K

Rumbols 12-12-2011 10:25 AM

I pre-wash my fabrics and then heavily starch. So I always wash before giving the gift to make sure all the starch is out. Also to make sure I haven't left something unfinished. Also removed pet hairs and dust from just sitting when I have to work. Everyone thinks I work really hard to get the antique look to the quilt.

Mkotch 12-13-2011 03:57 AM

I'm sorry but after I finish a quilt, I'm just too chicken to wash it! I always prewash my fabric before I sew with it anyway. I might go over it with a lint roller to get all the stray threads off, but I leave it to the recipient to deal with runny colors.

Dodie 12-13-2011 05:26 AM

I don't think I have ever washed a finished quilt I always prewash my fabric as I do not like working with all those chemicals I have 3 battings I use soft and white --warm and natural or hobbs 80/20 and I always put my batting in the washer we fairly warm water let it sit and soak at least 15 min. then spin and dry that has always been the safest way for me and I use to make quilts for shows but have given that up now