Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New quilter starting out- what shall I supply her with? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilter-starting-out-what-shall-i-supply-her-t23585.html)

2 Doods 08-01-2009 03:21 PM

How fun that you can share interest in quilting with each other. Wish my DD did :mrgreen:

One thing she definately needs: The address to this web site-of course! :lol:

Other things that would be helpful for her: 1/4 inch foot for her machine, a subscription to a quilting magazine so every couple of months she gets "new ideas", a few rulers to use with her rotary cutter, some extra blades for that cutter, disapearing ink marker or the chalk makers, needles (machine and hand sewing type), some good pins and a holder, and if you know of a shop near her.....maybe a class at that shop.

SharonC 08-01-2009 04:02 PM

Get her a subscription for a quilting magazine so she has something Every other month to start planning to make--soon you'll be able to tell her she's inherited your "problem" (lol)

MollieSue 08-01-2009 04:16 PM

I 2nd the website address of this board!!!! :D :D

Does she have a web cam,(is that what's it's called?) so if she has problems she can show you? You two could also quilt together with one!
:D

Barbm 08-01-2009 04:28 PM

dd is a techie/computer geek. i'm going to show her eq6- she was looking over my shoulder at one of the other threads and mentioned designing her own patterns. I think the quilting bug has bit her.

I think I will get her a 12 1/2" square ruler- to square up her blocks- I showed her mine and she was like- you square up your blocks? we have a way to go....

she will join the board as soon as she is settled in Las Vegas. Too bad she is hours away and we won't do too much quilting time together, but we can do it long distance.

I did ask her if she would read the book for my embroidery machine and help me to master it before she leaves.

Can't wait for Wed. to go to the quilt shops!

dimplesinjuly 08-01-2009 04:30 PM

How about a gift certificate to a Joann's or a visa gift card. They are like cash and can used pretty much anywhere. That way if she finds some material she just can't live without she can get it. I second the 1/4" foot and how bout a walking foot. :wink:

amma 08-01-2009 09:04 PM

Basting spray, maybe a set of templates and a pattern to go with it. If she is interested in applique, some fusible, invisible threads, needles, etc...

blahel 08-01-2009 10:09 PM

a bottle of wine to have on hand for when she gets stuck! :lol:

well, I'll try not to repeat what others have already said but i think she may need some of those pins with the flat heads..i love those..and some curved safety pins for when she is ready to sandwich her quilt.
Marking pens for light and dark fabric..i have one of those mechanical pencils with a ceramic lead..
A good light if you feel like buying her something..one of those daylight ones.
a subscription to a quilting mag to give her more inspiration..and to keep her hooked!
I think that should get her going and then you can send her a parcel for xmas for anything she still needs!!

Barbm 08-02-2009 05:58 AM

flat head pins, safety pins, marking pens, some good scissors- they sound good. Don't think I can ship basting spray so maybe a gift certificate for that. I have a bunch of fusible and some insul-bright too.

I'm hoping to work on a top while she is here so she can see the process, start to finish.

Thanks for all your help!

2 Doods 08-02-2009 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
a bottle of wine to have on hand for when she gets stuck! :lol:

And Chocolate!!

MadQuilter 08-02-2009 11:28 AM

A good iron, quilting pins, and an Ott light.