Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New quilter starting out- what shall I supply her with?

My grandson Noah brought his parents with him to visit. They are collecting "stuff" they left behind when they went to Japan last year. In 2 weeks they will be in Las Vegas.

"A" spied my 12 tubs of fabric and asked what she can have. So- what would be good "stuff" to send with her? She has a rotary cutter and mat, good scissors and a machine.

I can't remember what I started with, it's been so long ago.

BTW- she brought me a piece of fabric from Japan that matches fabric I'm collecting to match my Geisha fabric from ages ago. Now, I think I need to pull that out and start figuring out a wallhanging.

Thanks for your help!!
    Barb

What every quilter needs - A good SEAM RIPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just asked her- she says- Jack the Ripper? yeah, I have him.

She's going through my cupboards now- I no longer have tongs, a fruit basket, wine rack. Seriously- she's opening every door and drawer. :) Maybe I can get her to take some Christmas decorations too.

Amen to the seam ripper! How about several basic acrylic cutting rulers and one for squaring up. Some good quality thread in neutral colors. And a good book of introductory quilting terms and techniques so there's a place to go when she has a question. I rely on one by Better Homes and Gardens, "Complete Guide to Quilting." I know there are other good books and if you do a search you can see what other members have recommended. Amazon is a good place to order if you need it with just a few days turnaround. Also, if you have a list of good online resources that provide valuable tutorials, that could be helpful.

Blog Entries
    Ruler(s)

Patience, resourcefulness, adaptability, acceptance, perseverance and the ability to laugh at her mistakes.

Errrrm did you say she could open all ur cupboards????

If so; can i come too,lol :lol:

Power Poster
    I'm confused - is this your daughter? your daughter-in-law?

What do you WANT to give her?

Is anything you have up for grabs?

my daughter.

we just went through the 12 tubs of fabric and she now has 1 and I have 11. I only said no to one set of fabric- a Paula Nadelstern I bought last year. It's a someday quilt. She got a lot of "this and that" and all my elmo fabs.

She said I have a serious problem and need Quilters Anonymous. I just laughed.

If I could get her to take some furniture, I'd be really happy.

She is going to need a couple of patterns, Magazines etc. give her some ideas what to do with her beginnig stash.

How fun that you can share interest in quilting with each other. Wish my DD did :mrgreen:

One thing she definately needs: The address to this web site-of course! :lol:

Other things that would be helpful for her: 1/4 inch foot for her machine, a subscription to a quilting magazine so every couple of months she gets "new ideas", a few rulers to use with her rotary cutter, some extra blades for that cutter, disapearing ink marker or the chalk makers, needles (machine and hand sewing type), some good pins and a holder, and if you know of a shop near her.....maybe a class at that shop.

Get her a subscription for a quilting magazine so she has something Every other month to start planning to make--soon you'll be able to tell her she's inherited your "problem" (lol)

Blog Entries
    I 2nd the website address of this board!!!! :D :D

Does she have a web cam,(is that what's it's called?) so if she has problems she can show you? You two could also quilt together with one!
    :D

dd is a techie/computer geek. i'm going to show her eq6- she was looking over my shoulder at one of the other threads and mentioned designing her own patterns. I think the quilting bug has bit her.

I think I will get her a 12 1/2" square ruler- to square up her blocks- I showed her mine and she was like- you square up your blocks? we have a way to go....

she will join the board as soon as she is settled in Las Vegas. Too bad she is hours away and we won't do too much quilting time together, but we can do it long distance.

I did ask her if she would read the book for my embroidery machine and help me to master it before she leaves.

Can't wait for Wed. to go to the quilt shops!

How about a gift certificate to a Joann's or a visa gift card. They are like cash and can used pretty much anywhere. That way if she finds some material she just can't live without she can get it. I second the 1/4" foot and how bout a walking foot. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Basting spray, maybe a set of templates and a pattern to go with it. If she is interested in applique, some fusible, invisible threads, needles, etc...

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    a bottle of wine to have on hand for when she gets stuck! :lol:

well, I'll try not to repeat what others have already said but i think she may need some of those pins with the flat heads..i love those..and some curved safety pins for when she is ready to sandwich her quilt.
    Marking pens for light and dark fabric..i have one of those mechanical pencils with a ceramic lead..
    A good light if you feel like buying her something..one of those daylight ones.
    a subscription to a quilting mag to give her more inspiration..and to keep her hooked!
    I think that should get her going and then you can send her a parcel for xmas for anything she still needs!!

flat head pins, safety pins, marking pens, some good scissors- they sound good. Don't think I can ship basting spray so maybe a gift certificate for that. I have a bunch of fusible and some insul-bright too.

I'm hoping to work on a top while she is here so she can see the process, start to finish.

Thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by blahel
    a bottle of wine to have on hand for when she gets stuck! :lol:
    And Chocolate!!

Blog Entries
    A good iron, quilting pins, and an Ott light.

from the sound of it....I would say UHaul trailer...... :wink:
    Just think she is only a couple hours away instead of days away :D
    yall have fun

we spent time on computer together looking at houses. she wants me to come to Vegas for her closing. I'm not licensed there, but I'll get an agency for her.

Man, the houses are so much cheaper there! Half the cost of here. but I see no grass and just postage size lots. We have 34 acres here and lots of trees and grass- I couldn't live in the suburbs.