Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New rules for a sloppy quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-rules-sloppy-quilter-t115696.html)

Dooneygone 04-12-2011 06:39 PM

After six months of quilting, after 7 quilts made, I decided that I have been a "sloppy" quilter.....scissors here, cutters there, everywhere material and scraps, etc. I found myself wasting time by having to look for "where did I put my ruler, my thread, my scissors, my cutter, scraps."
This was a time-consuming.confusing, unnecessary search.

So today I decided "No More." I started putting everything back in its place after I used it and it has already paid off! When I put stuff back right away in its rightful place, then there is no stress trying to find it. And there is no time wasted by having to "re-organize" my quilting room. Paulien

Dina 04-12-2011 06:42 PM

Hmmmm, sounds like advice I can use. Common sense, you'd think, but maybe I can do this and find my seam ripper from now on!

TonnieLoree 04-12-2011 06:42 PM

You are sick I say. Sick! :-)

earthwalker 04-12-2011 06:42 PM

Yep...boring as it is staying organised is key if you want maximum use of your quilting time.

dragonflyxlx 04-12-2011 06:45 PM

I agree it is rather time consuming to have to hunt for things. I signed up for a bag class a few months ago, and I knew it was approaching. Having been away from quilting and my machine for a while, I took the time this time to invest in a nice case for most all of my rulers, a case that also holds, my scissors, and rotary cutter together, and a new rolling case for my machine that has pockets for extra goodies, like my pressing mat.

GGinMcKinney 04-12-2011 06:46 PM

Hmm, must be something here for me to learn, also. So confusing staying organized. I have several scissors, pin cushions, rulers, etc. They can be in their home spot in the sewing room and in multi bags for going quilting. Think I will try to improve on my system as I do go on the "hunt" more often than I should. Thank you for your motivatiion and encouragement. You are a good role model in this area.

incoming2me 04-12-2011 06:55 PM

Sometimes I get a bit cluttered as I'm working.
I have to FORCE myself to remember to put things back.

However, I did come up with a way to keep things handy/tidy and easy to put "away" near me.
I attached one of those tiny 3M Command adhesive hooks on the front of my machine to hang my little snips. I keep one of those wooden quilting ruler holders next to my machine to hold the rulers I'm currently using. On the peg board on the wall behind my sewing table I have a hook to hold my rotary cutter near my machine.

When I am done for the day - I replace everything I've been using to their storage location on the peg board wall - far far away from the reaches of our 3 year old daughter.

lscho4jm 04-12-2011 06:59 PM

Organized quilter? That sounds like science fiction to me. :lol:

amandasgramma 04-12-2011 07:00 PM

I have 2 seam rippers -- one by the sewing machine and the other by my favorite chair. I have 2 pairs of scissors for sewing -- one at the cutting table and one by the sewing machine. all cutting stuff goes on the cutting table......I've very organized but I just can't find ANYTHING!!! Why? because when I cut fabrics for this scrap quilt, I end up with a table full of fabric.....no matter HOW hard I try to keep it neat....I give up

Melrose R 04-12-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by lscho4jm
Organized quilter? That sounds like science fiction to me. :lol:

Hilarious! Just hilarious!