Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New rules for a sloppy quilter

After six months of quilting, after 7 quilts made, I decided that I have been a "sloppy" quilter.....scissors here, cutters there, everywhere material and scraps, etc. I found myself wasting time by having to look for "where did I put my ruler, my thread, my scissors, my cutter, scraps."
    This was a time-consuming.confusing, unnecessary search.

So today I decided "No More." I started putting everything back in its place after I used it and it has already paid off! When I put stuff back right away in its rightful place, then there is no stress trying to find it. And there is no time wasted by having to "re-organize" my quilting room. Paulien

Hmmmm, sounds like advice I can use. Common sense, you'd think, but maybe I can do this and find my seam ripper from now on!

You are sick I say. Sick! :-)

Yep...boring as it is staying organised is key if you want maximum use of your quilting time.

I agree it is rather time consuming to have to hunt for things. I signed up for a bag class a few months ago, and I knew it was approaching. Having been away from quilting and my machine for a while, I took the time this time to invest in a nice case for most all of my rulers, a case that also holds, my scissors, and rotary cutter together, and a new rolling case for my machine that has pockets for extra goodies, like my pressing mat.

Hmm, must be something here for me to learn, also. So confusing staying organized. I have several scissors, pin cushions, rulers, etc. They can be in their home spot in the sewing room and in multi bags for going quilting. Think I will try to improve on my system as I do go on the "hunt" more often than I should. Thank you for your motivatiion and encouragement. You are a good role model in this area.

Sometimes I get a bit cluttered as I'm working.
    I have to FORCE myself to remember to put things back.

However, I did come up with a way to keep things handy/tidy and easy to put "away" near me.
    I attached one of those tiny 3M Command adhesive hooks on the front of my machine to hang my little snips. I keep one of those wooden quilting ruler holders next to my machine to hold the rulers I'm currently using. On the peg board on the wall behind my sewing table I have a hook to hold my rotary cutter near my machine.

When I am done for the day - I replace everything I've been using to their storage location on the peg board wall - far far away from the reaches of our 3 year old daughter.

Formerly NY, IL, AL, TN, HI, FL, AL, MD and Germany. Now living in TN again.
    Organized quilter? That sounds like science fiction to me. :lol:

I have 2 seam rippers -- one by the sewing machine and the other by my favorite chair. I have 2 pairs of scissors for sewing -- one at the cutting table and one by the sewing machine. all cutting stuff goes on the cutting table......I've very organized but I just can't find ANYTHING!!! Why? because when I cut fabrics for this scrap quilt, I end up with a table full of fabric.....no matter HOW hard I try to keep it neat....I give up

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by lscho4jm
    Hilarious! Just hilarious!

I have learned that about *all* my spaces. I used to be pretty sloppy and lazy, but I have learned to do stuff as I go and keep things neat, and its amazing how much more relaxed I am and how calm I feel.

Sounds way too organized for me. LOL

Blog Entries
    I would need help to get organized in the first place - oh and then daily help to keep it that way ;)

:lol: I do that too, but I have learned to clean up my mess each day and boy does that help! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by lscho4jm
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree!

I kind of clean up my space every day when I'm done doing whatever I was doing. My problem is that once I've finished a project and do a more thorough clean up I can't find anything anymore! Therefore I prefer the "organized mess" system, otherwise I'd better look for my cutter, for instance, in the freezer etc. Decades ago I had a bag with pockets labelled " stuff, junk, things,..." and on the brim there was an appliqued text Get Organized. Must make me a new wall organizer.

I need to invest in an organizer for my rulers!. It drives me crazy when they are scattered all over and I am constantly trying to find the right one.

Blog Entries
    What a novel idea!

That could work, but it would take all the fun out of finding the fabric I forgot I had that shows up while looking for the scissors!

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    You are sick I say. Sick! :-)
    LOL!!!:)

sloppy? not unless it's old moldy hamburgers, or mushy apples. Disorganized, maybe. It's probably just a sign of a distracted and busy mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina
    Hmmmm, sounds like advice I can use. Common sense, you'd think, but maybe I can do this and find my seam ripper from now on!
    Let me know if you find any of mine!--LOL.

It is just a way of life for me. I have to put things in the same spot each & every time I use them or I can't find them. I'm so used to looking for things that I don't even get aggravated any more. Stressing out about it just makes my memory worse.

[So today I decided "No More." I started putting everything back in its place after I used it and it has already paid off! When I put stuff back right away in its rightful place, then there is no stress trying to find it. And there is no time wasted by having to "re-organize" my quilting room. Paulien[/quote]

I've tried this many times, but it just doesn't work for me. I re-organize my stash, and have it neat as can be. I do the same for all of my rulers, rippers, sissors, pin cushions, etc. Everything goes well for a day or so. Then somehow the next time I go into my quilt room to sew, I find my stash has blown up again and my quilting tools have all hidden themselves in various places unknown to me. Once again, I search for one tool and find another, find the one I need and use it, start searching for another, lose the one I found.....and the beat goes on...

Oh good grief, something else I need to do in my sewing room!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    So, how do you train yourself to remember to remember?!!!
    Doesn't seem to be happening in my world!

Jan in VA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast