Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New rules for a sloppy quilter >

New rules for a sloppy quilter

New rules for a sloppy quilter

Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
I have learned that about *all* my spaces. I used to be pretty sloppy and lazy, but I have learned to do stuff as I go and keep things neat, and its amazing how much more relaxed I am and how calm I feel.
That's me! There's someting freeing about being more organized. It comes naturally to some, but not to me.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Me again, I keep the templates and rulers, pins, thread rotary cutter, all in an underbed storage box. I can take the whole box to where I am working and put it all back in the box when I am done. My sewingmachine cabinet has little boxes on both doors, so everything I need at the machine is stored there,always handy and easy to put back.My quilting fabric is also in an underbed plastic. I do have a closet that holds shelves and plastic storage drawers for my regular sewing needs. ...all embroidery items, serger threads, buttons, stuff like that.Stuff in the closet is organized, but I don't have any great system .
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Me again, I keep the templates and rulers, pins, thread rotary cutter, all in an underbed storage box. I can take the whole box to where I am working and put it all back in the box when I am done. My sewingmachine cabinet has little boxes on both doors, so everything I need at the machine is stored there,always handy and easy to put back.My quilting fabric is also in an underbed plastic. I do have a closet that holds shelves and plastic storage drawers for my regular sewing needs. ...all embroidery items, serger threads, buttons, stuff like that.Stuff in the closet is organized, but I don't have any great system .
This is a great idea! The underbed storage would be long enough to hold ALL my rulers, etc. until I can finally pull my sewing room together (keeps getting delayed with life. :? ) I have a dresser in waiting with MANY drawers I am going to repurpose for quilting supplies with an ironing surface on top when that finally happens.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I try to clean up my space each time I finish a project!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM

I got tired of chasing my scissors, rotory cutter, pen, small ruler, etc., etc. So, I got a pattern (McCalls I think) for a gardners apron with lots and lots of pockets. Now everything is "on" me and I don't have to go looking for stuff!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
Hmmmm, sounds like advice I can use. Common sense, you'd think, but maybe I can do this and find my seam ripper from now on!
I lost my seam ripper weeks ago. .. maybe it is time to organize
Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM

sounds like a plan to me......CONGRATS on the organizational skills..........
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by masufa
Originally Posted by green pen
But what do you do with that sneaky little seam ripper that insists on running away? HE just won't stay where he is put --no matter what!
I taped the lid of the ripper upside down (open end up)on the right side of my sewing machine and it holds the ripper that way it is always right there when I need it. even when I take the machine to class I won't forget the ripper
great idea...
Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 AM

I have been organized for over a week now and I don't get as stressed out trying to find stuff. I now have a couple of plastic ice cream or yogurt containers near the machine for current threads for one, and for clips another. Right now I am returning everything as I use it and don't need it again, hanging on hooks, in containers etc.

However, I just had a flashback and when we go away in our van for more than a day, I use a see-through (plastic with fabric backing) shoe bag with lots of places to hold all those most used things, toothbrushes, batteries, etc. Wow! What a great idea to use in my quilting room. Gonna get one and look for only a few seconds to see stuff!.

I also started vacuuming every day or so around the machine since my Standard Poodle thinks that anything accidentally dropped on the floor etc. is his fiber for the day. Gotta get another ice cream container for this stuff. Pauline
Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dooneygone
I have been organized for over a week now and I don't get as stressed out trying to find stuff. I now have a couple of plastic ice cream or yogurt containers near the machine for current threads for one, and for clips another. Right now I am returning everything as I use it and don't need it again, hanging on hooks, in containers etc.

However, I just had a flashback and when we go away in our van for more than a day, I use a see-through (plastic with fabric backing) shoe bag with lots of places to hold all those most used things, toothbrushes, batteries, etc. Wow! What a great idea to use in my quilting room. Gonna get one and look for only a few seconds to see stuff!.

I also started vacuuming every day or so around the machine since my Standard Poodle thinks that anything accidentally dropped on the floor etc. is his fiber for the day. Gotta get another ice cream container for this stuff. Pauline
Congrats to you Pauline for your 1st week. We all start somewhere and I remember many times when I didn't even get through one day let alone one week. Like you with the plastic bag, I see things all the time that I think would work in my sewing room. Next on my list is the over-the-door shoe bag to use for quilting "things." I saw it on here and thought it looked like a great idea.