Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New tool for arthritic hands! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-tool-arthritic-hands-t220109.html)

Jackietellijohn60 04-27-2013 12:53 PM

Do the compression gloves I've seen at JoAnn Fabrics help with arthritis in the large joint at the base of the thumb? They are kind of spendy if they don't offer any relief...

sewmary 04-27-2013 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jackietellijohn60 (Post 6029736)
Do the compression gloves I've seen at JoAnn Fabrics help with arthritis in the large joint at the base of the thumb? They are kind of spendy if they don't offer any relief...

No they don't seem to help me. But the gloves are great for the RA in the rest of my hands.

The only thing that helps my thumb is a thumb splint ( from Walgreens). and a special cream prescribed by my rhumetologist.

MargeD 04-28-2013 03:33 AM

Thanks for letting us know about those useful tools. After years of being a secretary I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome, as well as rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, so I appreciate finding out about the tools that are out there. Thanks for sharing the information.

gabdr 04-28-2013 04:22 AM

Love these helpful tips, thanks for sharing.

fireworkslover 04-28-2013 06:11 AM

Fiskars makes scissors with springs in them, so all you have to do is squeeze them in order to cut. Plus the handles are padded so easy to use.

Sweeterthanwine 04-28-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6029018)
Great suggestions - and what a help to those with issues. My Mom has essential palsy (hands shake) we just found her a set of weighted silverware. Her hands no longer shake when she eats.

I never heard of this kind of silverware - going to check it out and get some for my hubby who suffers from the same thing. Thanks for your tip:thumbup:

Janis 04-28-2013 09:08 AM

The needle puller that I have used for hand quilting split down the metal strip and I had bent it back in place so many times, it wuldn't work any more. I had a pair of slant tweezers nearby and tried using that as a needle puller. It worked!!! I got them at a dollar store for $1.00. I tied a string of ribbon through the center and then around the closed end and can put them around my neck for a handy place to have them.
Have you tried putting caster oil on your hands? I have used it on one of my knees that gets tight and doesn't want to bend. I had expected it to help there, but didn't think about my fingers that didn't want to bend easily. After a while, I noticed that the fingers on my hand that I used to apply the caster oil to my knee would bend easier. It's worth a try, it worked on my fingers, and just might help yours too. I find it near the laxatives in the drug area of stores.

Wonnie 04-28-2013 09:26 AM

What is the name of the little plier-like thingee Faygilmore? Will, also, have to look into the telescoping magnet. Thanks to all!

sewnut 04-28-2013 09:50 AM

Yes I agree they're great. I use them in my counted cross stitch all the time but mine are a little smaller to fit my small hands and pick the tiny cross stitches. And I do have a larger set on my sewing table as well. Don't know what I would do without them.

sewnut 04-28-2013 09:51 AM

needle nose pliers.