Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New tool for arthritic hands! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-tool-arthritic-hands-t220109.html)

Wonnie 04-28-2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewnut (Post 6031590)
needle nose pliers.

Thanks for the answer sewnut!

Wonnie 04-28-2013 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by sewnut (Post 6031590)
needle nose pliers.

Thanks for the answer sewnut...very kind of you.

fayzer 04-28-2013 04:34 PM

They look like jewelry making tools that I have. There are nice sets at Michael's or AE Moore for 40% off.

BCM 04-29-2013 05:29 AM

Thanks for sharing the helpful information about the use of this product.

piecNpat 04-29-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 6030386)
No they don't seem to help me. But the gloves are great for the RA in the rest of my hands.

The only thing that helps my thumb is a thumb splint ( from Walgreens). and a special cream prescribed by my rhumetologist.

Is the cream from your doctor diclofenac sodium...brand name Voltaren Gel? That certainly helps my joint at the base of my thumb. Good stuff!

Cogito 04-29-2013 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer (Post 6032324)
They look like jewelry making tools that I have. There are nice sets at Michael's or AE Moore for 40% off.

That's exactly what I was going to say.....I gave a set of several small pliers such as this that I got from Michaels back from my jewelry making days. Hadn't thought about using them this way. Will have to pull them out and repurpose them.

DonnaC 04-29-2013 10:53 AM

Just an FYI - not all needle-nosed pliers are spring-loaded like the ones in this original post. I think that's why she liked them so much!

PigglyWiggly 04-29-2013 11:02 AM

I too have severe arthritis in the bottom joint of my thumb! It is even twice the size of the other hand. I have had drs suggest surgery...no way! Yet I have found that a good DH or Chiropractor will pull on your fingers and pull the knuckles to pop....helps sooooo much. And no, popping your knuckles won't make them bigger! It helps them from freezing up in the joint. Take care

MarLeClair 04-29-2013 11:41 AM

Thank you for the info about the needle nose pliers. I also have arthritic hands and especially bad thumbs so am always looking for useful tools. Another that I found was a screwdriver that I use to remove the 1/4 screws from the bed of my machine when I need to clean it. AThe company is MorKo Products or www.morkoproducts.com. Take a look you might see something that will help.
Also, I am going to look up weighted silverware as my brother's hands shake terribly. Again, thank you.

acjacques 04-29-2013 12:30 PM

I found great tools in my husband's tool box too. He's a machinist, so he has every gadget imaginable. When we go to Home Depot or Sears I usually head for the tools section - so far I have bought compass, L-ruler, T-ruler, even the clamps to hold down the quilt when I'm putting the layers together on the table. I also use the beading tools since I have those.